Best engine to replace AQ231/285 Penta drive

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for some advice for the best engine/long block to replace my improperly winterized AQ231 305 GM. I have a couple leads on long block truck engines...a Goodwrench 350 and a couple low mile center bolt valve cover engines which would seem to be a direct replacement for what's in there. Do these seem like viable options? I'm going to be babying this boat and it's a 24 foot Sunrunner weekender. I want to do this right because the boat has only 200 hours since 1988 and it's in excellent condition. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can pull the 305 and bolt in a 350 or even a stroked SBC. your choice.

if it was me, I would source a 290 DP lower for the drive as well.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... A 350 of the proper vintage would be the best easiest fix,.....

With a slightly boost in horsepower,....

SSSuper83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's what I was thinking and I agree. My 285 drive is in impeccable condition inside and out so I'm not gonna replace that. I have enough little things to replace like seals, water pump impellers and bearings, etc besides the engine so looking to get power head locked in and running as soon as possible. She's been out of the water 10 years and I was hoping previous owner did the right thing in Winterizing, but unfortunately not. Block was seized and got it to turn over, but the rings gave up the ghost. I wouldn't put it past the fact the block is cracked internally either.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, I flogged my AQ271/290DP in my 24' boat for years. I did mild performance upgrades to the motor (links in my signature)

the 350 will be a better motor than the 305 was for your boat.