1973 penta aq130 questions

bluerider3333

Recruit
First off im new to this site and new to boating, A buddy of mine gave me a 77 bayliner mutiny, it has a 73 penta aq130 with 270 output, he claims the motor runs but keeps blowing the oil cap off and losing power, I thinking this means the motor might need to be rebuilt. If so is this motor worth rebuilding or should i be looking for another motor? Thanks for any input

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would start looking for another engine. If this is the original one, there is a fair chance that it is very rusty inside. These engines were rarely equipped with closed cooling, and even if it was run in a fresh water lake most of its life, I would still be suspicious, since it is approx 40 years old. You can off course take the engine apart first and look for yourself. It's a fairly simple engine to overhaul. parts are still available, at least where I live (EU)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
No idea if it's worth rebuilding until you tear it down and investigate. Make sure you thoroughly inspect the boat to determine it's condition before you sink money into anything. Would be rare for a boat that old to not need deck, transom, or fuel system repair. The engine may be the least of your problems.

If the rest of the boat checks out, and you want to continue with the engine, there are options. Rebuilding is one of them, but an overhead cam engine may be a better route since there are more of them available.

bluerider3333

Recruit
Thanks for the input, the boat was used last year, i will inspect the boat and make sure all looks good, maybe even swing by a shop, im willing to tear in to the existing engine and take a look for rust and worn part. if i do end up needing a new motor, what would you guys recommend?

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
The easiest/cheapest swap would be to find a used, but decent Volvo AQ145 or 151 and keep the outdrive. Make sure that the cyl no 4 looks good around the exhaust port on the cylinderhead.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Anything Volvo is NOT cheap.
​Like the other suggested tear it down and check the condition.
Blowing the oil cap off usually means excessive blow by. Rings or valves?

bluerider3333

Recruit
Ok thanks guys, i will start tearing it down soon, ill be posing some pic as i go, to get any input,
thanks again

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
FWIW, I did rebuild a replacement AQ130C a few years ago. Engine parts like rings, bearings, and seals are still available, but you need to be creative with your searches. There really isn't much reason for VP to continue to stock legacy engine parts, so for those parts, you switch to Volvo car engines. Be aware that there are a few components that are marine specific.

During your inspection, be sure to check the head for cracks, especial around the valves. I went through several until I found one worth keeping.

As far as checking out the boat itself, keep in mind the age of the boat and all the systems. Like it or not, everything is an unknown until you check it out. I ended up rebuilding my whole boat from stringers, transom and deck, to fuel tank and all related components. None of it is rocket science but it does take time and money. I have no regrets whatsoever from rebuilding my boat. Just make sure you have your eyes open when you start.

bluerider3333

Recruit
Is there a decent website to find parts, or is something like carigslist and ebay the best route to go as far as finding engine parts?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
FCP and IPD are places to start. "Swedish Bricks" web site also has some good info. There are some parts on ebay but it's gotten pretty slim the last few years. There are one or two people that have disassembled engines and are listing individual parts on ebay. Be aware of engine differences. The newer engines (D) have an 8 bolt flywheel and larger wrist pins. Possibly larger crank bearings but I don't remember. If you need to do something with the original cam, I would recommend sending it out to be reconditioned. There are several different types of distributors and the cap from one won't fit on the other. If you're using the engine in the salt pond, need to use brass or stainless core plugs and the OEM head gasket. Once you start doing the research, you'll find the sources of parts. It just takes a little time.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
For searches, also try "Volvo B20" since that's the type of engine. You'll get more hits and many more parts. Just be aware that some components need to be the marine version.