Help! - Need Assistance in identifying this VolvoPenta Duo Prop unit

hbpaints

Cadet
I need some help identifying the leg unit on my "new to me" boat. I apologize if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find any appropriate answers.

Attached are some pictures of the Volvo Penta unit in question. Any help identifying or obtaining a model number would be great. I am hoping to gain some insight into servicing this unit and perhaps locate a manual.

I have searched high and low for id tags, etc... so far no luck.

I am fairly new to boating so have lots to learn and look forward to being educated !

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

More pictures can be provided if needed. It only let me upload the one. lol

Rob.

leg4.jpg

Looks like the 290DP, the tag should be right behind the shaft bellows below the steering helmet if I'm not mistaken. I have two of those and about to do the same. Good Luck!

hbpaints

Cadet
Thanks so much guys!!!! Much appreciated....

I've got a lot to learn about boats this size, but almost completed my restoration and hoping to drop it in the water (Lake) this summer... Once I'm familiar with everything and worked the bugs out, then I'll head to the ocean.... lol

hbpaints

Cadet
Now that its been identified, I have been doing some research on the type of oil I need to use in it but with a 290 designation it leaves a couple more questions...

Do I use Mineral 80/90W gear oil or fully synthetic?

Thanks.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Manual calls for SAE90 or 80/90W
I would just use a good brand non synth oil.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the boat maker is still in business?????
​Send them the hull# and they may be able to send you the original specs??

Do a compression test.
Look under the bellows and check for rust or oil.

Anything marked Volvo. isn't gonna be cheap.
GREAT drives and Chevy motors. Good combo's!

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
My bad. It is a DP outdrive. Still a 290 transmission with a different cover and top plate.

hbpaints

Cadet
Sooooo.... Does that change the oil type for the drive? Being a DP A or C ?

I can't find any identifying tags on unit anywhere....

Thanks guys...

Also have another picture for you that hopefully someone can help me with... It has hoses running from the unit in question to the transom shield ?

Any idea what this is/does and how do I check/Change the oil in it..

Attachments

• 20150805_153245_resized.jpg
    20150805_153245_resized.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Changes nothing.
Did you download the manual i linked to for you? It is for AQ280 to DP-C outdrives

hbpaints

Cadet
Yes I did download the manual, thanks so much...

I'm trying to figure out how to check the oil level in that unit. It connects with two small lines to the transom shield and yes, I suspect it has to do with tilt/trim, but not quite sure where the oil level should be at. (Unless it is filled and checked at the small round screw hole point that you can see on the side of the unit?

The decal on this small motor states 10W/30 so it was a bit confusing....

It does not feed the leg however, unless it does so, internal to the transom shield...

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
That is not a 290 or a DP-C. That is a DP-A. DP-A1, DP-A2 or a DP-B drive. There should be a tag on the upper gear unit where the bellow attaches that will stated the gear ration and model number

It is not a C drive because it has the reverse locking mechanism / Mounting bracket.

YES THERE is a hug difference in the 290 drive upper gear unit (Transmission) and the DP-A upper. There is a difference between the A, A1, and A2 uppers.

People should stop giving advice unless they are 100 % certain in their answer as it can cost the person asking the advice much time and money.

HBPAINTS .... You are looking at the trim cylinder reservoir. You can use 10w30 as stated or transmission fluid IF THE FLUID is red.

As for the drive.... IT CAN ONLY USE 100% FULLY SYNTHETIC 75w90 Gear Oil. You can get that at the auto parts store. Any fully synthetic will do as they are all rated. (Unless you have rebuilt more than a dozen of these uppers, do not even post in this thread about friction inhibitor crap that always comes up)

The drive holds 2.7 liters or 2.85 U.S Quarts of oil

CHANGE THE DRIVE BELLOW NOW and avoid a minimum $1000 repair bill. Should change the drive bellow every 3 - 4 years max

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Read the Factory service manual.
It states API-GL5. (1)
SAE90 or 80W90
(1)Synthetic oil grade 75W90 Corresponding to API GL5 requirements is recommended for commercial use.

But i will defer to the expert here and bow out as i am not a expert at anything.