5.8FL Penta Duo DP-C1. Bad lower foward/reverse gears

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to replace my lower seals and when i pulled the Carrier out, i noticed my forward/reverse gears have chipped teeth. What could cause this? Is it normal? Obviously they will have to be replaced. The boat didn't have any symptoms or noises.

Thank you

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chipped gear teeth? Not normal. Excessive Gear Lash could be one reason (the gears arent meshing tight enough causing the thinner portions of the teeth to be overworked and breaking off). Put it back together, separate the lower gearcase from the upper, and check the gear lash at the driveshaft (not the propshaft). There is a special tool for this that fits on the driveshaft. If the gear lash is excessive, the whole gearcase its going to need pulled apart and reshimmed. Where did the chipped teeth metal parts go?

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone help me find the gear part numbers that im going to need. My local boat shop is having trouble.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like i need part number 852174 or 21902005 for the replacement gear set. Im seriously considering running the gear with a chipped tooth and cleaning them up. They didnt make any noise or act like they had an issue. But for $2000 for 3 little gears. Thats nuts.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welp, another dealer quoted me $1950 for the gears, which is 10% off. Im cleaning the old gears up and running it like it is for now.

Bondo

Staff member
Im cleaning the old gears up and running it like it is for now.

Ayuh,..... Start huntin' for a used take-off drive run in freshwater,......