impeller shaft seal removal and installation

brooksk

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone point me towards any information that relates to impeller shaft removal and re-installation on a 2004 (model year) Chaparral 215 SSi, engine: 5.0L GL-D? I have a decent steady leak recently discovered coming out the bottom weep hole of the impeller shaft housing - the part that is on the pulley side, not hose side. I have changed the impeller several times in the past and currently have the impeller housing, hoses disconnected from the pulley side, water has been drained from both hoses connected to the impeller housing unit. I can tell that the leak is coming out of the weep hole(s) and not around the seam. Upon removal of the impeller housing the impeller and o-ring both appear to be in good shape. I am not competent on diagnosing the condition of the spline shaft seal but logic would dictate that that is the only other place the water could move through in order to get out through the weep holes. I would like to replace the shaft seal but not having a manual handy (can I get one locally and where?) I would like to know how to remove the pulley and what else I may need to consider replacing if I do that? I have plenty of shop / mechanical tools. Removing the belts is straightforward. There appears to be three large hex screws that may be holding the pulley on. Is that true? I can obtain a shaft seal locally but need to know what else is needed for parts. Also, if the pulley is removed and later re-installed what torque setting is needed for the three hex screws? Lastly, the boat is resting comfortably on its trailer.
I would understand if this topic has been discussed many times before but I cannot navigate this site well enough to find the info. Searching only brings me to general procedures.
Thank you all in advance!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I just completed a rebuild of my shaft mounted raw pump yesterday. If you have a leak, your bearing is probably shot also. First you remove the pump, then the crank pulley. Has 3 cap screws. Then I used a pick to pull the spring out of the seal, and then pulled the all rubber seal out. Then you will see the bearing. If it seems to turn okay you might just need the seal. Volvo part 827247. If the bearing is bad like mine, use a three jaw puller to pull the pump housing off the crank pulley. Then I removed the snap ring that holds the bearing in place. Now for the fun part. I made a little plate that fits between the housing, and the bearing. I then turned it over on an anvil and tapped on my little plate until with the help of the right size socket, it came out. There are a couple videos on you tube that helped me. Or you can look on E-bay, where they will rebuild one for about 150.00$ Dave-R