Is my drive shot

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a aq231 with Volvo penta 275 drive that I ran for about 45 minutes with no drive oil. I fished into December last year and when I winterized local marine store was closed for year and I had already drained drive oil so I figured I would fill it before going on first trip and sure enough I forgot to do it. Took boat out sunday for first trip and ran it for about 45 minutes and it started making noise so I shut it off. At this point I realized what I had did and had quart of oil on boat and put it in let boat sit for 15 minutes and started It and tried to get it to a dock that was 100yds away got about 50yds and it shut off rowed boat to dock and called for tow back to ramp. I emptied oil from drive and it has some metallic in it refilled drive with new oil and started boat and still has same growling noise coming from drive. Can anyone tell me what I should start to check with and if I can rebuild drive myself I am good with fixing things just need some direction of where to go from here. Thank you for any help
Tj

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need to pull the drive, go thru it, and determine if you killed all the bearings and gears or just one or two of the bearings and gears

download the factory manual from volvo penta

when you drain the oil, you fill it up right away - lesson learned

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to download manual for my drive and cant seem to find it. I have a AQ231B with 275 drive closest I can find to my drive is for 270 can anyone tell me where I can find right manual thank you for any help
Tj

Last edited:

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I have the same problem. Can not seem to find anything 275 specific but here is what i have learned.
The 275 transmission is a newer design 280 and a precursor to the 290SP/DP.
So from what i can figure out we both have a 290 transmission mated to a 280 lower
You can tell a 290 drive by the bump i have circled in the pic.
Here is a manual.
.wwwmybayliner.co.uk/boatmad/280285290.pdf

Attachments

• photo244723.jpg
    photo244723.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There are two AQ transmissions, a 2-bolt and a 4-bolt.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Attachments

• photo244773.jpg
    photo244773.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244774.JPG
    photo244774.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Your looking at the steering pin. I'm talking about the mounting bolts to the exhaust housing

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Can you show pics of the two different AQ280/290 bolt styles? I have never seen them

Last edited:

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so got drive off and took it apart and damage seems to be in upper gear box that is where im finding metal shavings but I cant seem to get u-joint and clamping ring off to inspect inside I removed 4 screws as manual says and still cant get u-joint to budge not sure if im missing something or if there is a trick to this. Also was wondering if my easiest fix would be to buy a used upper gear box and put it on not sure witch way to go here any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.
TJ

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Well running dry and finding shavings i would look at a E-Bay trans. The top and bottom bearings are going to be $300ish alone + what ever other parts you may need + paying to have it all done if you cant do it your self.
E-Bay trans $500ish bucks. You will need to fallow the shimming procedure in the manual when fitting a different trans to your mid section.

Also. Have you taken the lower unit apart and found it to be ok?

Last edited:

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. That was my thought on upper gear box and as far as lower goes I have not taken it apart but I can turn shaft and everything moves very easily and seems ok I know this is not the proper way to check but I am a little nervous about taking to much apart but if that's going to be only way to properly check it I will. Again thank you for youre help.
TJ

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone tell me if I am looking for single or two bolt upper gear box not sure what this means and also if there is anything else I need to be looking for seems to be a lot of different upper gear boxes that say they will fit 275 but I just want to make sure I buy the right one. Thank you for any and all help.
TJ

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Look at post #7 and you will see the bolt style(helmet pin). Try to buy one from a 4cyl as they are less stressed then one from a V8

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I found a 290 upper gear box that has the 2 bolt (same as mine) and seller says it will fit my 275 can anyone tell anything else I need to check to make sure I am getting right part. Thanks again for all the help
TJ

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
It will fit. You need to check the input shaft spline count as two styles were used. 10 and 26. You will also need to shim your new transmission to your mid section as outlined in the manual.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again for all youre help. I am trying to order new o rings and gaskets to put drive back together. I think I got all of them but trying to figure shims I will need. Are the shims something I am going to have to wait until I receive upper to order so I can take measurements. Thanks again.
TJ

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
You need to wait for shims and check it when you have them both. You might get lucky and your current shim pack will work.
The easy way to shim it is to use to many when you install the transmission. Measure the gap. Remove the correct amount of shims to obtain the proper gap.

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Pat thanks again for all youre help. I have been trying to get a measurement for my shims for the past month now but was not confident with the numbers I was coming up with it seemed like every time I measured the were off by a little bit. So I did what you recommended and took old shims I had from other gear box witch added up to 1.02mm and put them in and snugged up the bolts a little used a feeler gauge to check gap and came up with .610mm it was a little bit looser at end with the u-joint but was pretty tight in there. So then I subtracted the .610 from the 1.02 and got .41 the manual says to ad .06 so if i am correct with everything I need a .47mm shim. Just want to check that I did this correctly because it doesn't seem there is much room for error with this. Also can you tell me where i can get the shims because all I can find on i boats seems to be merc shims is there a difference in shim types. Thank You again for all youre help.
TJ