water in oil but boat runs like a champ

twohottyracing

Recruit
so I have a 2005 regal 1800 lsr with 4.3 gl,,,,,the boat and motor look new took the boat out ran great wot 55mph no issues ​3 days later take it out again ran fine but noticed a drop in top end speed no other issues no overheating no oil pressure problems ran normal exept for the speed.got it home opened sun deck to flush motor and noticed oil everywhere pulled dipstick and its grey,opened cap on valve cover coffee with cream color inside valve cover,have not touch it today except for stairing at it obviously that did not fix anythingLOL,i have read tons on this topic and seems everyone says cracked block ,I am not saying its not but what else should I look at I have motor flush inside motor compartment should I flush with ears instead ...any help be fore I dump cash into something thatr might be simple fix..
I have not done anything yet wanted ideas from the forum members
remember boat runs great except for loss of top end speed
thanks in advance
1st time post
Scotty

Bondo

Staff member
I have not done anything yet wanted ideas

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Are You gonna be doin' the diagnostics to figure out what's up,..??

Bein' a single digit typist, I ain't gonna explain the whole thing, so you can tell yer mechanic,.....

Basically, blocks crack from the water jackets to the oil galleys from freezin', 'n bustin',....
It has nothin' to do with pistons, 'n cylinders, they most often run like a swiss watch, except for the pukin' oil out everywhere,....

Ya lost top end, because the crankshaft was beatin' the over full water/ oil into a froth,....

So who, 'n how was this motor Winterized,..??

Last edited:

twohottyracing

Recruit
thanks for the info Bondo makes sense not sure who winterized it.gonna flush the oil out today to keep it from rusting maybe add some Marvel
​thanks again
Scotty

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The cheapest, easiest way to get back on the water, Quickly, is to buy a long block crate motor, 'n swap on all the marine "Stuff" onto it,....

If yer handy, a couple or few weekends could do it,....

Maclin

Admiral
Not wanting to be Dr Gloom, Just sayin' that leaking there (exhaust manifold/risers) can only go into the cylinders, then that has to get past the rings to get into the crankcase, and just no way enough water can get past there to fill the crankcase measurably. The amount of water you described, enough to displace the oil and make it spew out, almost always is from a cracked water jacket somewhere. Also on the 4.3 there is a drain on the intake manifold, and if not drained for winterization the intake water jacket can crack during a freeze, and that goes directly into the crankcase once the engine starts and runs Sometimes the water jacket cracks can hold while cold, then as the engine gets into a duty cycle they will open.

Good luck, hope that was all :thumb: