'96 5.0 Volvo fuel injected, has a very slow leak at the high pressure fuel pump

Tileman2

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, high pressure fuel pump on my 5.0 volvo, its not the line that's leaking, but it seems like it's leaking by where the electronics are are clamped to it. And the weird thing is, it doesn't leak all the time. Just wondering if it sounds like a bad pump, or something that can be tightened? The motor is purring like a kitten, I just slowed down and got a whiff of fumes, that's how I discovered it.
Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
No I'm looking along the line of GXI, FIP something. Trying to look around in the motor breakdown and many of the 96 models are carbureted

Tileman2

Seaman Apprentice
If that link shouldn't be here, I completely understand, and I'll delete it....or I imagine you can

alldodge

Staff member
Yep, that helps
It uses what Merc called a Vapor Separation Tank (VST) and there is a float and needle seat inside. It's like a carb bowl with a high pressure pump on top. The low pressure pump is used to keep the tank full for the high pressure pump. I'm thinking the tank is leaking around the gasket (item 9).

Is it leaking near this area?

Edit: no issue with the link being used

Last edited:

Tileman2

Seaman Apprentice
Nope, I totally understand the area that your talking about, it's like where the fuel is going in, but not the line fittings.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check area between 19 and 38 on the above link. The fuel pump is probably leaking and needs replaced. Just did mine last year. The gas can run down along the VST and appear to be a leaking top gasket on the VST but wipe it dry, run it, and look right between 19 and 38 on the fuel pump. Seeps out there.

Last edited: