Replacement short block for my 4.3 Gi

Cutlas1

Cadet
I bought a project boat with a cracked block and intake and have been able to purchase a low mileage replacement long block for it.
The replacement short block has the same block and head casting numbers but is out of a S10 Blazer. Are the cams the same or should I swap them?
Both engines are sitting on engine stands in my garage now.
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe.

alldodge

Staff member
I bought a project boat with a cracked block and intake and have been able to purchase a low mileage replacement long block for it.
The replacement short block has the same block and head casting numbers but is out of a S10 Blazer. Are the cams the same or should I swap them?
Both engines are sitting on engine stands in my garage now.
Any help would be appreciated.

Joe.

Howdy Joe

Your good to go with the cam, no need to change. The S10 is a truck so you got a truck motor, that's what you want.
Change the core (freeze) plugs to brass, and swap everything else. So long as your not in salt water, IMO your go to go

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending on year, you may want to use marine head gaskets along with the brass core plugs

Cutlas1

Cadet
Original engine is a 2000 and the new engine is a 2005. The boat will only see fresh water.
Are marine head gaskets still required?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
marine gaskets are MLS stainless. I know in the mid 00's the automotive world went to MLS stainless. you should be fine with visual confirmation of the MLS gaskets.

Cutlas1

Cadet
Looks like GM used brass freeze plugs on there 2005 blocks.
One less thing to change.