8.1 GiC 400hp

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at a 2012 boat with this engine.

Seems pretty rare. Big blocks either are 375 or 420/430hp HO rated from Volvo and Merc.

Why did Merc never have a 400hp version of this big block? Even their 8.2 standard output is 375?

Just trying to understand how oddball this engine is. Are maintenance and repair parts readily available? Any issues to watch out for?

Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you asking a Mercruiser question in the V-P section?

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope. 8.1 GiC is a Volvo Penta engine.

I was asking why Volvo had a 400hp version of the 8.1, but not Merc.

Not a lot of info out there on this engine, mainly due to it being offered for so few years. Wondering if there are availability or reliability issues to aware of.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Over the many years of the GM 8.2 it has been offered from 338hp to 600. Merc used carb (380hp) and MPI (415hp) models and still do and hp is increased to 430 for the HO. Very well built motor and will last if taken care of.

VP had their 8.1 rated at 375hp and 420hp. Agree there is not a lot out there but VP but also have not heard of many problems. Only reason I stay away from VP is the cost of parts and manuals, finding parts locally and folks to discuss issues with. Even on line there are not that many folks which to discuss issues.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, AllDodge. My only experience has been with Merc, so I'd be starting all over again with Volvo. This is a big engine in a small engine compartment, so ease of impeller service does seem like a plus for the Volvo, at least.

I see there are many different GiC 400hp engine numbers. How do I identify which one is in this boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Volvo ran different induction parts and programing than Mercruiser . easy to turn a 385 into 400hp.

the 8.2 that Mercruiser used is not a production block, it is a GM performance block from the GM aftermarket. Same ones that you get when you buy a ZZ502 crate motor. The 425hp 8.2 liter (502) is a detuned version of the 525 that Mercuiser developed to fill the void that was left when GM quit making production Gen 7 8.1 liter (496's)

Fun Times

Staff member

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, AllDodge. My only experience has been with Merc, so I'd be starting all over again with Volvo. This is a big engine in a small engine compartment, so ease of impeller service does seem like a plus for the Volvo, at least.

I see there are many different GiC 400hp engine numbers. How do I identify which one is in this boat?

Oh I hate to change the impeller on my cruiser, I have to remove the ALT and hang upside down to do it, not fun

Photo623.jpg

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you watched the introduction video for the Volvo 8.1's, :encouragement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrQSWfLfZ8A

Looks like non catalyst exhaust is 375 HP and catalyst exhaust is bumped up to 400,
8.1 gi volvo (non cat) vs. 8.1 gi cat - Boat Talk ...

Here's a parts catalog for one of the engine models to browse through if interested,
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...*****.022793317--store_id.366--view_id.765233

Thanks, Fun, I have seen that video.

Plot twist: owner now is deciding he doesn't want to sell. Apparently, he does this every season from what the marina tells me. 17hrs on the darn boat in 3 years. Face it: you're not going to use it again this season.

Anyway, pivoting up to a different candidate in the same area, more hours, one year older. Has the 8.1 Gi, rated at 375hp. Anyone know what makes up the power difference between the Gi and GiC? Cats don't do that... Just programming?