Shifting problem... I think?

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Volvo penta 5.0 gi with a dp-sm outdrive. I've been working on this inherited nightmare for over a year. Getting ready to splash in a week or two and I'm in the process of puting the props on. Manual says to put the boat in gear so the props won't spin when tightening the nuts. Is this with the shift cable attached? Or disconnect the shift cable and do it manuallly. It shifts fine manually but when I try to move the control lever it won't budge. I can press the button and the throttle will move. Is there a safety features that will not let me put the motor in gear without it running or is there a problem with the cable or linkage. I should note I disconnected the cable to remove the outdrive but have not touched the cables at the control. Also, the boat has been sitting for 12 years. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
To just secure the prop nut you could engage the gears either way. It sounds like you need to get the props on, hook up the linkage and adjust the linkage so that it engages forward and reverse.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The linkage is hooked up. When I push the remote lever to put it in forward or reverse it won't budge unless I push the button on the side to just increase throttle but not put into gear.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I disconnected the shift cable at the eccentric piston arm. I can move the arm in and out of gear and prop shaft locks as it should. Leaving the shift cable disconnected I still can't move the remote handle forward or reverse. So I'm assuming the shift cable has frozen after years of sitting anything else I may be missing or any suggestions?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That is not uncommon. Buy a new shift cable.

What year is your Volvo? Early models during the joint venture years used the OMC end up at the control. Have a picture of your control?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I tried that already to no avail. The remote cable doesn't move when detached from the shifting arm so I'may pretty sure the cable is frozen.
Plus you don't need to do that with a cone clutch.