Identifying 3.0GL (1994) power output

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering to buy a Volvo Penta 3.0 GL MMDA newly built in 1994. I have a Clymer service manual 1994-2000 stating the GL has 120 HP power output. As I had a 3.0GS (GM Superior output : 135HP) I can image the GL has less (GL Limited output < 135HP). The thing is that ONLY the service manual which I thus have from Clymer states the 120HP for models between 1994-2000. All other internet publications state the engine has 135HP, basically all GL's. The owner manual of the GS/GL refers to the "sales literature" for the power output under the technical detail section, thus implicating differences. I am aware that the GL production was interrupted and restarted as the red engine with 135 HP after 2000. Still strange I guess considering the model letter "L" meaning limited output vs the GS.
The Volvo Penta Engine database doesn't give me information.

My core questions : can someone give me a firm conclusion on the GLMMDA power output, so how much HP ? If different, mainly technically because off ?

Many, many thanks.

Martijn

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Volvo says the 3.0GLmmda is 135hp.
​From the looks of it all GL's are 135hp

I have a special place for Seloc and Clymer manuals.
They are used as substitute toilet paper
​Follow the links at the top for Volvo parts.
It will take you to Volvo US Parts.
Then you can research any Volvo Parts you need .

Some of the GS have 150hp.

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
hi, thanks for helping JerryJerry05,

I start to believe it is 135 HP indeed, and considering your contributions here I guess I shouldn't question further. I am aware of the parts database. I believe the carbs differ between this GL and my GS. I am also aware of the engine list from YachtDatabase : http://www.yachtdatabase.com/app/motorlist.jsp?id=Volvo+Penta
Here is the GLMMDA model is indeed 135HP.

Below I added the Clymer statement for models between 1994-2000, here it shows in the left below corner 120 HP though. Toilet paper, right ?

3.0GL_poweroutput_Clymer.gif

Unfortunately I cannot get my hand on sales literature of the 3.0GSMMDA (1994) as apparently the power output is mentioned in here. Would be good to have VP literature confirmation. If I search the model in their database it doesn't give specifications, strange. Any idea how I can get sales literature ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I believe you can ask Volvo??
​Or the boat manufacturer. Send the hull # to them and maybe they'll have the motor info??

According to the parts? There is a difference in the carbs?? But they don't specify what the difference is??
The parts also says there is no GSMMDA There is a GLMMDA

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
Correct btw GLMMDA, made a type error. Never found out the rating in HP clarified.

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Bruceb58,

Well, actually it does in the Clymer manual, see the picture posted. What got me on the topic though is that GS stands for Superior and GL for Limited. What's that about? Secondly the maintenance manual for the 3.0L's refer to the commercial leaflet for the power rating, thus implicating there is a difference. Puzzling is that looking at the engines themselves also the mechanic I am working with don't see where the difference is coming from. Not a necessity to know, simply intriging don't you think?

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That sounds like a question for Volvo??

​Sometimes the "letters" or model #s on different motors can be something as simple as the electrical connections could be different.
Or the drive system is the change.
From a stern drive to a straight drive???
My outboard 85hp.was made in 1988 they had about 50 different model changes that year.
Yet looking at them you can't see anything different???

Assassin3F

Seaman Apprentice
I am still puzzling over this...mine is a carbed 3.0 Liter and the block numbers identify it as a GSPEFS. The Manual for the engine also shows the GS as a Carb'ed engine with no fuel injection involved or supporting electronics involved. From what I can tell in the manual there is no real difference between a GL and a GS from a maintenance standpoint. If a GS is capable of ramping from 135 to 150 I would love to know how they do it...give me an off season project for the winter.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I know for the 5.0 the GS is a 2 barrel and the GL is a 4 barrel. Also, my GS has a 4 barrel intake with an adapter for the 2 barrel. Easy swap to 4 barrel when my carb needs work!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I went onto the Volvo site to look at model numbers for the engines from 1994 through 2000. 3.0 1994 MD model is the only one designated GL. All others are GS.

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks for the replies. Indeed, I've also read about the GS models 150HP ratings, makes you wonder yes. Here my GS being rebuild, see the carb. in the picture. Looking at spareparts the GLMMDA shares al with GSPMDA except for the carb parts! About the GL, you have the red ones late production rated 135HP. But, in here I am focussing on the 3.0 GLMMDA produced only in 1994. Do I see differences, yes thermstat manifold (and location of) fuel pump, oilfilter. Also the harness is different. That doesn't tell anything about HP. If you would look at it as a long block, it's all the same, GM is providing for VP, Merc, former OMC the same stuff. My GS actually now has a 'merc' block today. Exhaust is VP specific, better then merc. The GS is carb'd like the GL. Both 2bbl. Still, with aforementioned that's the key. With your input it becomes even more interesting now we see ratings between 120 and yes 150hp. That should be a carb matter here I guess. I asked 2 VP dealers in the Netherlands and they saw water burning, no kidding. For 3.0L being out of production they don't care then getting you spare parts. Strange because of the extreme new 'surplus' still sold today. It's very interesting to have an insight here on the carb. I am not a mechanic but since a had twice water ingestion you can imagine it awakened a 'certain' nightmarish and obsessive (lol) interest, I wish to learn as much I can about these 3.0L's. Something pops up, in the US Michigan Motorz is a big supplier. I drop these guys a note. Thanks all.!!! I let you know.

Attachments

• photo252253.jpg
    photo252253.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 0

Assassin3F

Seaman Apprentice
They started playing games with the horse power measurements in the mid 90s there were even some litigation regarding it if I remember right. I also seem to remember something about them phasing in throttle body fuel injection around that time...also when did GM start installing vortec heads? I know they arent standard but if the 150 is a real number and not a bs marketing ploy its gotta be something.

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
Well, no answer from Michigan Motorz. I believe the answer might lie in the following. 3.0L have a Holley 2300 2bbl carb which comes in 300 CFM and 500 CFM versions. Another thread on iBoats is having the same conversation but here about the new GLP (which I know is 135HP, not 120HP like the 1994 GL) and GS where they assume the GLP has 300CFM with 135HP and the GS has 500 CFM with 150HP. Literature indeed tells that GS has 500 CFM but I am completely confused now. 120HP, 135HP, 150HP vs two carb types. But performance is definitely influenced by the CFM rating. I wonder if it's easy to find out which one is installed on my GS. Would be funny to discover it's the 300 CFM version.... But if it's 500 then I assume the GL from 1994 has 300 CFM while there are still gaps in the story because then I do not have an explanation for the 150HP... So, I try to find out what I have and if someone has an idea here, please let us know. Boat is in the shop so I do not have direct access the next couple days but it will come with some patience. Perhaps some pics do the trick, let's see. BR, Martijn.

Assassin3F

Seaman Apprentice
There will be "list numbers" Stamped into the body of the carburator. Go to the Holley website and they will show you where to look...you may have to clean the area to read the numbers especially if they are covered in paint...but they are there. If you get the list numbers you can ask holley what carb you have...might even be able to download the carb specs without even having to make a call.

mnjjansen

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Spec attached shows GL (old) has a 350CFM vs GS with 500CFM

Attachments

• photo252560.JPG
    photo252560.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 1