**Help** Engine Compartment taking on water ( leak ). 1st Day of season..

NeilBrown

Recruit
Hey All -
We just attempted to get our boat in the harbor today and shortly after turning on the engine ... the bilge started pumping more water out than we have ever seem before. We checked the engine compartment and there seemed to be a leak underneath the engine - but couldn't see exactly where the water was spewing from.

We took a video with our phone ( that I can't attach to this forum.. but have included some photos instead) - since this is a Sunday, will not be able to get in touch with the marina service dept. until tomorrow. Was hoping someone might have an idea of what is going on here ( Could this have been caused during the winterization process?)
2.jpg 1.jpg
Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
My gut tells me it's a core plug (freeze plug) but the pick is so close I see a motor mount and it appears to be coming from behind it.

What else is there and what motor is this?
Who winterized the motor?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As alldodge asked, what motor? There is a block drain plug in that general area on my 4.3 Volvo.

I'd run it on the hose, and feel for the leak. Once you've got a hand on it, shut it down, and then look, and you'll know exactly what the source is. I think, if you're lucky, you've just got a missing/broken/loose drain plug.

Last edited:

NeilBrown

Recruit
The engine is a Mercruiser 5.0 bravo 3 .. this was winterized by an actual boat dealer ( we didn't do this ourselves for fear of something like this happening...).

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some shops leave the block drains out when winterizing. They get you to come back for summarizing that way. Look in the cup holders, or sink, for any plugs. If you find them I bet they are not installed. Or someone dropped one in the bilge and forgot to replace it. Hope it's not something frozen.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread is posted in the Volvo section, but a mod will probably come along and move it to the right area. Anyway, having it winterized by a mechanic is no guarantee of anything. They make mistakes all too often, same as the rest of us.

Still, looking at the second picture you provided, I think the water stream is coming from the block drain. That'd be my first check.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
My first guess was the block drain as well...however, given that it was winterized and done "professionally" the block should be filled with anti-freeze, not open? It's one of 4 items 1) Block Drain 2) Freeze (casting) plug 3) cracked block or 4) Loose hose.

I'd call the marina and speak with the mechanic/tech that winterized it and ask about their winterization process? If it's drain and leave system open, then the odds are for the block drain. If they used antifreeze (AF) and filled block then it's possible they didn't achieve the proper temp for the thermostat to open and circulate the AF throughout?

If you can take a better pic from below, we can tell you what it is? I'm hoping it's just the block drain or a loose hose?

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't ever go to mechanics if I can help it. Iv always had to do it again after taking crap to a shop. Forums like this and repair manual. Is the way to go. And then eventually you know your machine inside and out. Prolly just a drain plug left out or a hose. Don't worrie to much.. A cracked block and they will have to repair your motor. That would be epic stupidity from a shop. Let us know what you find.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My first guess was the block drain as well...however, given that it was winterized and done "professionally" the block should be filled with anti-freeze, not open? It's one of 4 items 1) Block Drain 2) Freeze (casting) plug 3) cracked block or 4) Loose hose.

I'd call the marina and speak with the mechanic/tech that winterized it and ask about their winterization process? If it's drain and leave system open, then the odds are for the block drain. If they used antifreeze (AF) and filled block then it's possible they didn't achieve the proper temp for the thermostat to open and circulate the AF throughout?

If you can take a better pic from below, we can tell you what it is? I'm hoping it's just the block drain or a loose hose?

AF is not needed to winterize. that is an optional step for long term inhibition of corrosion.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully it's just one of the blue drain plugs has snapped.

Attachments

• 5.0installdraw.png
    5.0installdraw.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 1

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Was wondering if you got an update from the dealer today.

NeilBrown

Recruit
Sorry for the delay! So I called the marina last Monday, and they sent someone out Tuesday to pick the boat up... the guy that picked it up knew right away that it was a cracked engine block.. We waited without any word until Friday - so we called them in the morning and didn't get much information on the status of the fix, except that it would take approx. 2 weeks -

I'm going to be calling again today or tomorrow to get more detail as it didn't even sound like they had looked at it yet..

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow. And you paid good money to prevent excactly that. That's bullsh***

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hate it when threads are started and then left open with no closure