Volvo Penta 5.7 gi-f won't run

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't check the voltage due to time restraints and battery wasn't at a full charge.... it was a race against impeding weather. I had the sensor so I just replaced it anyways. I plan on checking it tonight after work depending on rain again as it is supposed to rain again..... I did find that the crankshaft position sensor is the exact same one as the one for a 1999 Chevy K1500 which dropped the price DRAMATICALLY! The only difference was I had to swap the mounting bracket on it to use the original. I'm hoping tonight with a fully charged battery it will spark now. If not I will check the harness going to the sensor like that chart shows. It looks like in order to change the camshaft position sensor the entire distributor has to come out and taken apart. I figured that was going to be the easiest sensor to change.

alldodge

Staff member
IMO, if there are no wires going into the distributer, then the cam sensor is not used even if it's in there.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got to go on a limb and make the suggestion that we go back to the simple. The sensors on these motors (GM) are very reliable and are the same GM OBD I&II that are on cars and for the most part aren't the problem much like the computers. Fuel pumps are a different story but we ain't there as you say your issue is no spark. I suspect your problem is a bad fuse or popped breaker that you haven't found. Have you gotten a manual yet? If not, there are links in the stickys at the beginning of the forums and if you get a Seloc Manual it's better than nothing. Where their instructional data may be out dated at times, I've not had an issue with their wiring diagrams. Are you getting 12V to the coil? Keep the faith and don't give up the ship.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE.. I talked to mechanic today who told me the only way to get that switch out is to pull entire distributor ,drive pin out then press gear off which would allow me to raise the shaft assembly and give me clearance to pull switch out. Turns out he was very wrong!! There was a little square cutout on shafts assembly and I was able to bump engine until that square was above the camshaft position sensor ( which was a pain but not too bad). At that point I was able to get switch out. I replaced it put everything back together and she fired right up!!! Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try to get it in water Saturday for a true test. Both sensors were replaced with sensors for a 99 Chevy k1500 v8 if anyone would like to save lots of money on parts!

alldodge

Staff member
Good to here it all worked out, kind of weird that VP uses both cam and crank sensors, but you would of thought it. As for sensors, they are all the manufactures GM, Ford and others. Sure appreciate the confirmation.

Happy boating

Fun Times

Staff member
Does Iboats sell the scan tool. ?
The only scan tool I believe iboats sells is one more designed for a marine dealer to use on a daily basis in order to help try and recoup some money from buying a high dollar scan tool sold by Sierra Marine. 18-SD110 - Sierra STATS Complete Engine Diagnostic System. http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Acc...685?q=18-SD110

Do you know what fuel pressure on the rail should be? It looks like there is a test port on it to check the pressure. Thanks
Without looking it up, Volvo's tend to be more in the mid 50 psi rang over the Mercruisers 43 psi range.

My guess is since Merc doesn't appear to use the cam sensor, it uses the crank sensor. Here in the Merc manual item e (module) says not used.
Starting right around 2006 Merc went to using the Cam sensor under the dist cap. But like you mentioned earlier AD, the only real way to know is if there is a wire harness available in the area/plugged in for the Cam sensor under the cap. I say in the area as there was one past member that said the cam sensor wasn't plugged in like it should have been.:very_drunk:

Good to hear you were able to get the engine running again Matt9712.:thumb:

I was also going to say that the module found next to the coil could also be bad and like you've found with both sensors mentioned above, you could find one from an auto parts store fitting an older GM truck. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...58984&_sacat=0

Here's your parts catalog if ever needed again, http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...on_id.711515784--store_id.366--view_id.765222

Last edited:

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I agree with bruce58. Get the OEM repair manual. Iv got the seloc manual for mine and some things aren't
Excact.

Last edited:

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first guess would have been any thing other than the camshaft senser. Hell I don't even know if my boat has one. My first guess it would have been Module or coil.