Volvo Penta 5.7 gi-f won't run

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone I'm new to this and to boating but I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. A quick run down of problems I'm having are.... I bought boat 2 weeks ago it ran good during test drive and good for about 2 hrs after I got it home. The boat was running fine then sputtered once and moments later died. It showed a little less then 1/8 tank of gas so I figured it had run out of gas. Was able to get a friend to bring about 4 gallons out to me about 2 hrs after being stranded. The boat was very hard to start and wanted to keep stalling out. Finally got it running and hauled back to dock. On that trip back motor was sputtering and when rpm's dropped I'd get a single beep alarm. Brought boat home drained tank pulled pick up tube it was clean. Checked anti siphon valve it wasn't clogged and seemed to operate fine. Changed all plugs, charged batteries. The boat still won't start, it will crank but won't run. I've looked at previous posts about fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator so I checked to make sure I can hear pump turn on for 2 seconds when turning key on. It sounds like it is. I pulled fuel pressure regulator off it appeared clean. I am completely at a loss right now as what else it could be.... Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Matt
One other thing... I get 3 beeps now when I turn key on.

Last edited:

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Order the seloc repair manual for your boat. It is a must have. With this type of trouble shooting. What year is the boat.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I'll check it out. It's a 2006 four winns 210 horizon

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

You need to do some testing. Think your going to need a scanner or get some to scan the motor for codes. It could be your fuel pump went out, but would need high pressure fuel gauge to test it.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya I was hoping to not have to bring to shop to read codes.... Do you know what fuel pressure on the rail should be? It looks like there is a test port on it to check the pressure. Thanks

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again for your help I appreciate it! I will check it tomorrow as soon as the rain stops

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does Iboats sell the scan tool. ? I Know the Seloc repair manual. Will give trouble shooting tips for this type of problem. It will walk you threw how to test fuel related problems and spark/ignition testing. I keep mine In the boat and carry a volt meter with all type fuses the boat has. And will be looking into getting some spare relays to have on hand. This problem. Could be a short , bad relay. / bad cap/ rotor, coil/module. Or like all doge says a fuel pump that going out. Maybe a bad fuel filter That scan tool is going to be key. Keep us updated.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I decided to check spark which i had assumed was good and i had no spark coming straight from ignition coil. So today i pulled the ignition coil out and seems to have good resistance readings. A little more research has me thinking about the camshaft pos. sensor. Has anyone had any experience with these? Can I clean this versus replacing due to the crazy cost and me not being a 100% sure it is the culprit. Or is there anyway to test it to prove it is the issue? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Here is the Merc troubleshooting guide, which should work for yours to get closer. Note step 3, when you crank the motor the tach should show some rpm. The crank position sensor test in on step 12
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will definitely check that out when I get home. Is the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor the same thing? The only reason I ask is when I researched the camshaft sensor it pretty much gave every symptom I have with the exception of the alarms at startup. Not sure if it is one of those things where its called different things on different motors but in all actuality the same part. Thanks again

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you looked at your kill switch on the helm? Do you get your alarm when you turn the key on?

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ya. I have looked at the kill switch. If I remove the safety attached to lanyard it opens the switch and when I turn the key it wont alarm or if I put in run it wont turn the starter. So I feel it works as designed. That was the first thing I checked I was really hoping it was going to be a bad switch...lol be a lot easier

alldodge

Staff member
The camshaft sensor is inside the distributer.

The crankshaft sensor is at the front of the motor behind the harmonic balancer, down low

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just did a little research on the symptoms and it appears that both can show pretty similar symptoms. Fingers crossed that one of those is the problem....Thanks again.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried to remove the camshaft sensor due to fact I couldn't find the crankhaft position sensor. I have looked everywhere even tried with mirror in spots I couldn't get to. I removed distributor cap, then rotor now there is one black metal piece directly above the sensor ..... anyone know how to get that sensor out or that metal piece out of way? There is a lot of oily residue inside it as well.

Tried to upload pic but it keeps kicking me off I try again later

alldodge

Staff member
Sure wish some of the VP guys would come in. I'm offering Merc stuff to give you something but may not be what you have. My guess is since Merc doesn't appear to use the cam sensor, it uses the crank sensor. Here in the Merc manual item e (module) says not used.

dist.jpg

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really appreciate your help! I managed to find the crankshaft position sensor and swapped it out. Still have no spark from coil. So now I just have to figure out how to get camshaft position sensor out. It appears to be underneath shaft assembly just like in your pic and unfortunately it's too big to squeeze out while shafts assembly is still in there. I'm nervous about messing too much with distributor as I have no idea how to fix timing if I screw it up....

alldodge

Staff member
Have any of the troubleshooting steps helped? Are any of the measurements checking out?