Volvo penta 3.0 glp-c wont start

Volnavy

Cadet
Greetings, 3.0 glp-c stern drive. I live in Hawaii so I can boat all of year round. Boat had been running great for over 6 months. I had a bad belt that I had to replace, during the replacement, I noticed the tensioner was corroded, so I had to order one online... So the boat sat for approx 1 month, last weekend I replaced the tensioner and went to start the motor, and I had crank, but no compression.. Here is what I know

1. With the aid of a spark tester, I have spark at all plugs and at the center connector from the coil
2. My throttle does spray gas into the carb
3. Replaced spark plugs just in case
4. Attempted non-chlorine break cleaner to help start
5. Distributor is almost brand new, all connections are clean and it turns during crank
6. Kill switch is connected and appears to be ok.
7. Battery is solid at 12v at crank, but after numerous attempts, connected to my Durango to help maintain solid voltage

Please help, pulling my hair out trying to get her running. I need to get back to the Kaneohe sandbar quick!

On a side note, the button on the throttle handle that should allow me to start with the throttle out of gear hasn't worked since I bought it.. Any ideas how to fix that?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Lets see, you live in Hawaii, can boat year round, and you need to get back to Kaneohe sandbar. I think that's just about enough of you rubbing salt in our wounds
Just kidding, would be nice to be there
KaneoheSandBarByAir2.jpg

Back to you question:
Boat was running just fine and after sitting for one month it won't start. You have spark but it won't start. I'm guessing your not getting enough gas. Take a 1/4 ounce of gas and pour down the throat of the carb and see if it will hit

Volnavy

Cadet
My brother in law is an ase certified mechanic in Florida and he recommended putting the brake cleaner directly in the carb because it has a higher flame point, but not as bad for the engine as ether.. As it was cranking, I sprayed it directly into the carb and didn't even come close to firing.. It just cranks and cranks

alldodge

Staff member
If your getting spark and you have proved you are, only thing left is gas. While the break cleaner isn't bad but pull some plugs and make sure there not soaking wet. If they are dry, try the gas

Volnavy

Cadet
I just replaced all 4 plugs, the old plugs were wet.. However with the new plugs it still didn't start. Thanks everyone for the ideas so far!

alldodge

Staff member
I just replaced all 4 plugs, the old plugs were wet.. However with the new plugs it still didn't start. Thanks everyone for the ideas so far!

Being wet sounds like it's flooding

Volnavy

Cadet
Possibly flooding, when I replaced the starter 6 months ago, I flooded the engine and it wouldn't fire, however I let it set about 45 min, came back, and it fired right up.. This time, I waited 7 days (Saturday to Saturday) and when I pulled the plugs out to change them, they were wet.. What can I do to isolate that?

alldodge

Staff member
Possibly flooding, when I replaced the starter 6 months ago, I flooded the engine and it wouldn't fire, however I let it set about 45 min, came back, and it fired right up.. This time, I waited 7 days (Saturday to Saturday) and when I pulled the plugs out to change them, they were wet.. What can I do to isolate that?

If you went straight and started changing plugs with no cranking and they were wet, that's a real issue. Now if you tried to crank it over before changing then the carb just poured more gas in while trying to start. The fix is to remove and rebuild the carb or replace it.

Jut to verify was it gas or water on the plugs?

Also mentioned your shifter does not work in throttle only mode. To fix it, sounds like you will need a new button unless there is more of an issue inside it. Need to know which one you have, maybe post a pic. Some can be fixed others need to be replaced

Volnavy

Cadet
No Title

Ok, so my timeline on the wet spark plugs was presented a little off...

Update: towed my boat home yesterday, let it sit over night.

Pulled a plug out and inspected (dry) and smelled like gas pic attached

Tried to start it cold, like I normally would, 4 pumps, and crank.. No luck still.. Then I attempted the brake cleaner again, still no luck.

Picture also shown off my throttle. I pulled it off, and the black button all the way on the inside appears to be jammed in there..

Attachments

• photo242951.jpeg
    photo242951.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the update. There are two kinds of brake cleaner, flammable and non-flammable and they look about the same. That said I'm still leaning toward your problem is fuel. Either not getting it or getting to much.

Would be nice to have someone (with safety glasses) look down the carb while cranking.

Lets start with the basics: get a rag and put it in the bore throat of the carb, pump the throttle a couple times(don't try to start). Now pull the rag out and smell the rag, does it smell like gas?

If it smells like gas, then we need to find out if the carb is flooding when cranking.

Volnavy

Cadet
There is fuel when I pump the throttle, rag smells, I can't tell if it is coming from the top jet or both top and bottom..., and here is a pic of the throttle

alldodge

Staff member
There is fuel when I pump the throttle, rag smells, I can't tell if it is coming from the top jet or both top and bottom..., and here is a pic of the throttle

So long as it smells like gas and not something else you should be good. Try this to see if you can get it started, but your going to need some help.

Disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb, now pump the carb a few times into the rag in the throat to soak up the gas. What I'm trying to do is empty some of the gas out of the carb. Remove the rag, give it a couple more pumps and hold the carb open a bit more from idle, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Try starting

Again safety glasses, watch the carb to see if fuel starts to pour in.

Here is the main reason I don't like VP
You have a hard time finding parts, the parts you do find do not show a brake down, and the parts are expensive. If it was a Merc there would not be an issue.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Side...on_id.392251994--store_id.366--view_id.345069

Thinking it may be cheaper to get another control, but if it was me I would take it apart and see if something could be red-neck engineered.

alldodge

Staff member
I think the spark is enough but from what I can hear it sounds like the motor is not turning over fast enough to start.

Volnavy

Cadet
Back from a few days underway, that is a slo mo video, that's why it sounds slow

Volnavy

Cadet
Ok, so update, did a week out to sea in the navy, came back. Still wouldn't start.

1. Took the throttle apart and was able to fix the button, so now I can get the throttle open while not in gear. Small victory
2. Double checked all wires and connections.
3. Verified the spark plug gap was set to .045
4. I only run nonethanol gas, but I added 5 gallons of new gas
5. Talked to the previous owner, he told me to pump throttle 4 times, put the lever at wide open, and try to start. When on the phone with him, and doing that pattern, I actually heard it try to turn over once or twice, way better then before, but still no start

So still at a loss, I looked inside the carb and at full throttle gas is going into the carb, I have double and triple checked the spark

I even took the belt off, since that was the last thing I touched to verify an accessorie wasn't loading it down, and no luck

Any other ideas? I am trying to find a Volvo dealer on Oahu but am having trouble

Volnavy

Cadet
Spark test from center wire from the ignition coil, should it be pulsing like that?

alldodge

Staff member
Been seeing Mom for Mothers day.
Does sound like it's turning over enough and your spark while not completely steady does appear good enough to start. For the prior owner to say
he told me to pump throttle 4 times, put the lever at wide open

tells me he had trouble with the motor flooding, telling me the carb needs work. There is no reason to hold it wide open unless there is to much gas.

Your using the coil wire to check spark, but have you pulled the distributer cap to see if the rotor is turning and cap is clean? Pull a plug or two and see if their wet, if this is the case you need a carb rebuild.

To double check spark at the plug, put your tester on of the plugs