volvo 5.7 gsi running cool

Hadge

Cadet
5.7 gsi only gets to 150deg, plugs are always fouled and runs rich. spec say 160 deg. I noticed in the thermos housing there is a hole that dumps water right into engine before it passes the t-stat. I think this hole needs to be plugged

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No, that hole needs to be open.

Have you put the thermostat in in a pot of water and warm it up to see when it opens and is it closed when cool?

Hadge

Cadet
I think the water from the hole is dumping to much water in the engine, I have had many stats in this boat and it always ran 150. Is it possible the 1998 housing is restricting water flow out the top and putting too much through the hole. I was tempted to plug the hole. our maybe I just need a new housing???

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I had the same problem a few years ago. Turned out I had a clogged thermostat bypass hole, plugged with a piece of impeller. Look way up inside for this hole and check to see that it's clear.

Maclin

Admiral
How are you determining the exact temp? Infrared gun? Or by the gauge? or by the symptoms?

Hadge

Cadet
yes heat gun, the highest temp I can fine is 150 and most are lower. Yes I did get two small Impeller pieces out of the top by pass to the fuel pump, the hole I'm speaking of goes right to the circulation pump ?????

Hadge

Cadet
I feel a bit dumb right now, I didn't realize the stat lets the water out of the engine, NOT IN,. So I'm back on track trying to get this engine to run warmer.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had the same problem which ultimately turned out to be a partially blocked bypass, It was holding the T'stat open with back pressure. I know you have checked it, but so had I on mine, but a flexible bit of spring steel (backing from a auto wiper blade) finally got the last bit of impeller out. I suspect that it had been sitting somewhere in the block until after I had cleared the first blockage. It has run at 160 for the last 4 seasons. The rich running is caused by the ECU thinking the motor is cold and enriching the mixture, ie a bit like a choke on a non ECU motor.

Also make sure that the water supply path to the manifolds is clear, on mine both outlet stubs on the T'stat housing were partially blocked with corrosion (salt water boat) I ran a drill through 3/8 inch I seem to think.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pull the thermos and see if it's marked with the temp??
​Might need a new one with a higher temp?
You have the manual?
Put it in a pot along with a thermometer. Heat it and watch the temp along with thermos as it opens.