Milky oil coming from exhaust bellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrad9151

Cadet
I just bought a 1984 bayliner with a volvo penta 270, it has not been ran in 2 years.I have located the problem, there is a crack in the exhaust bellow. My question is why is milky oil coming from there and should there be oil in the exhaust

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome to the board!

If you are talking about the exhaust bellow on the drive, that being cracked is not a big issue. In fact they have drain holes in them along the bottom. They need to be there to keep wave action from going up into the exhaust though, since the water-blocking flapper is on the drive exhaust outlet..

Milky oil coming from there almost has to be from the engine, indicating a significant problem with the engine internals in my estimation.

Have you done a compression check or any other diagnostics on the engine yet?

What model engine?

bbrad9151

Cadet
I believe it's the AQ250, it's 4cly, I have not done any tests on it, just cleaned carb and distributor and it runs amazing so for.

Maclin

Admiral
Very good. But oil from exhaust does indicate a problem upstream. I am not familiar with that engine setup. If it has an oil cooler then that may be leaking oil into the cooling water stream. Or if power steering cooler, same thing. Leaking oil cooler means less oil pressure, may be a small loss but still less for the engine, that kind of thing.

Got any pics :)

bbrad9151

Cadet
Turns out I'm leaking from the u joint bellow which was dripping onto the exhaust bellow. My next question is where can I find some pictures for the installation process of new bellows

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Maybe on Google/ U-tube? for videos.
Now oil? Grease? coming from the upper bellows could be a lot more trouble than you think??
You need to pressure/ vacuum test the drive to see if the upper yoke seal is leaking oil into the bellows?
The oil has to come from somewhere? Usually the front yoke seal??

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a pretty old post, but it doesn't look like you got very complete advice. Did you get your problem figured out? If not, it sounds to me like your drive bellows failed. The milky oil is probably from your drive. Your problem has gotten bigger than simply replacing your drive / ujoint bellows.

You will probably have to replace the primary drive shaft bearings and ujoints. This is a medium to big job. There are many posts on here on how to fix it. Many will say that you need to pull the engine to do this.

Since you have milky oil, that means the seals for your upper gear assembly have failed, and the assembly will need to be rebuilt.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is a pretty old post, but it doesn't look like you got very complete advice. Did you get your problem figured out? If not, it sounds to me like your drive bellows failed. The milky oil is probably from your drive. Your problem has gotten bigger than simply replacing your drive / ujoint bellows.

You will probably have to replace the primary drive shaft bearings and ujoints. This is a medium to big job. There are many posts on here on how to fix it. Many will say that you need to pull the engine to do this.

Since you have milky oil, that means the seals for your upper gear assembly have failed, and the assembly will need to be rebuilt.

Yep - A pretty old thread and a pretty dead one too. Brad's last visit was close to a year ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.