How do I remove this? Please help!

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have volvo penta sx cobra outdrives.. Removed the outdrives, removed the lower bracket and bolts on top. I thought the steering bracket attached to the transom would have come right off... What am I missing??

Thank you!!
Phil

Attachments

• photo242876.jpg
    photo242876.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Look inside the boat, there is a attaching nut inside there. Pretty tough to get to I think.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From looking at the diagram...... I have all the bolts on top removed........ this should just drop right down and out...... this does NOT want to move!!!!!!!!! I don't want to start banging or prying on it if I'm missing something........ argh.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
The top has a sleeve that the gimble assy is "pressed" into. It is a really tight fit, but it will push out.
volvo makes a special tool you can buy (of course WAY to expensive) or you can make your own.
there is a good right up on the forum with pics, not sure where at, but do a serch and it should come up.
i pullled mine off a few weeks ago for some maintenance. easy to get off, but a PITA to put back together.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You drop the lower bracket and locating pin.??
​Cant tell in the pic.
Real tight fit at the top.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, dropped the lower bracket and locating pin. Also remove the 4 nuts up top, as well as the center bolt up top. Figured it would drop right out....... but not so much. Didn't want to hammer too hard on it if I was missing something.

Phil

You drop the lower bracket and locating pin.??
​Cant tell in the pic.
Real tight fit at the top.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

These are the lower brackets / pins you are referring to correct?
Phil

Attachments

• photo243037.jpg
    photo243037.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243038.jpg
    photo243038.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Yes that's the pins.
​Put a screw back in the top and tap with a hammer?????
There are plastic bushings and will need to be replaced anyway so maybe a bit of heat at the top??.
Not on the bracket but the housing>

Rusty S

Seaman Apprentice
You can do as JerryJerry suggests; or what I have done is place a large drift punch and place on either side of hole bottom post goes through...get large hammer and prepare for a battle. First time it took a lot of time, but it came apart. Since then I have removed 1-2 other times and it has been easier.
Make sure you alternate side-to-side every 4-5 hits to equalize pressure coming off. And, it's a good ideal to have the top bolt in-place so when it does release you don't get hurt by the fall.
And the bushing (bearing as defined by Volvo) is a brass insert. This shouldn't need replacement by the removal. If it does need replacement there are some very specific placement specs to ensure proper reassembly and non-leakage. You will need to take to a dealer or somebody who has the tool to insert for proper clearances. I had mine done just for safety's sake and chasing a leak.

Good Luck!

Last edited: