Volvo Penta SX Cobra - Bearing Carrier Part - What is this?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know what this part is? I removed the bearing carrier in my outdrives to change out the shaft seal..... and this is a bracket bolted to the carrier with what looks to be an anode? Is this piece even needed? I'm pretty sure it isn't anything critical? Boat was originally in salt water..... and is now in fresh water only.

Thoughts?

~Phil

Attachments

• photo242855.jpg
    photo242855.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, it is an anode. Apparently Volvo does not produce them anymore, but last time I checked, they were still available, aftermarket. If you use the boat in fresh water, and bring it home on a trailer after each trip, I believe you can live without it. But if the boat spends a long summer in salt water, I would install the aftermarket anode.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The carrier is isolated because of the rubber O-rings and rubber in the seals.
​It needs a zinc or the carrier can get eaten like the zinc in the pic.
Even in fresh water is should be replaced.
Dissimilar metals work against each other even in fresh water.

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I only boat in fresh water, and it sits in the water all summer. So far I've only found a Zinc replacement..... but that is for salt water only. Trying to find a Magnesium replacement for fresh water..... the search continues!

Phil

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
First and foremost, check iboats.com for the proper anodes. There are different types that can be applied?

There's a website for magnesium and zinc anodes (boatzincs.com) that have some good information. I would just find a different style on and put it on?