1970 Volvo Penta

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking closely at a 1970 Olson 17' glass I/O. It's a 4 cylinder with dual carbs. This is my first boat, ever! I'm 60 years old and just moved to Lakeport
near Clear lake in California . I was looking for a bass boat but am unwilling to spend more than $5K. The more I looked it seems the better value can be had with
an older rig. I will be using it almost exclusively for fishing. The seller is asking $2750 . The hull appears well cared for. My main concern is the motor.
Below there's a link for the listing on Craigslist and also one for a short video. Please take a look and tell me what you think.
I'm looking for a reliable rig that won't drain my bank account. This one looks good to me. I just can't afford to make a mistake. I'm a decent mechanic so small issues shouldn't be an issue. Opinions appreciated.
Thanks ,
Jcris
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/boa/5556832386.html

http://www.placervillerealtypropertymanagement.com/IMG_0060b.mov

Bondo

Staff member
I was looking for a bass boat but am unwilling to spend more than $5K.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Keep lookin',....

That little volvo is on the endangered species list, older than dirt, 'n parts are gettin' hard to find,....

Find yerself a boat with a Chevy based motor if ya want an I/O,....
Merc parts are cheapest, 'n easiest to find,...
Volvo is 2nd,....
Don't go near an OMC, they've been dead, 'n gone for a couple Decades now,.....

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
As someone with an older boat, I can tell you that, until you open up and inspect everything, you have no idea what condition things are in. I did rebuild my boat and engine and it was a fun and rewarding project. However, I wouldn't want to tackle that again. If you want to use the boat, I'd be looking at something much newer.

Keep in mind, all boats require maintenance, regardless of their age.