Good tune up/ preventive maintenance??

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wanna complete a good tune up and preventive maintenance check list. Mainly Iv done every thing in my repair manual that I can check/change. But now I'm down to the distributor. Not sure how this distributor works. I'm guessing it is fuel injection , and computer controlled advance., Correct? But what would I need to do to tune up my distributor,, or just to have a couple spare parts for it on board. In the ol days Iv only changed the cap and rotor or mybe the module. /coil. But I'm not sure if this one works like an old school distributor. Also can I just get parts for it at my local auto parts store. ". Because its basically a 2000 5.7L Chevy". Thanks fellow boaters.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
Cap and rotor are the only scheduled maintenance parts. Most auto supply stores have listings for marine ignition parts because they are made by the same manufactures. But don't use standard automotive parts. At the least you will run into corrosion problems. At the worst you may produce an explosion hazard.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Believe your cap and rotor are the same used on the 88-95 OBDI chevy trucks and can be gotten at any auto part store and they will work just fine. These ignition parts aren't explosion hazards and can be used. On a different note, Starters, Alternators and Carburetors are NEVER to be substituted and Marine Specific parts should always be used.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks fellers. Now I understand that better between non marine and marine parts.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also. How many hours of operation on boat between outdrive oil changes. I'll prolly 30-40 hours a year on the boat. And if oil still looks golden clean. What would be the point of changing it. Just asking.

wrench 3

Commander
The standard grade automotive distributor caps have aluminum contacts were as the marine caps have brass contacts. The aluminum contacts even cause problems around here in automobiles.

If the owner requests it, some times I'll take a sample from the drain plug and if it looks good just top it up. But for the price of a litre and a half of gear lub, on mine I'll change it.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the Selco repair manual. For the boat. .. Wow this book is amazing. A must have. It explaines soooooo much. And how two

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh , are you guys carring some spare Relays onboard. I thought that would be a good item to have. And if so how many diffrent relays are there for a boat like mine. And are they all deffrent?? I'll start to look threw my repair manual for all of them and systems that use them. But I'm to tired right now to start all the reading there. So if some knows what systems on the boat use the relays. And I can get a couple to have just in case. That would be great!!!

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well so far I've found. 4 relays, 2 for the fuel system
And 2 for outdrive trim
System.

wrench 3

Commander
I don't know of anyone who carries spare relays. But if you want to, a standard bosh type relay should plug into any one of them. Just make sure it's vapor proof.

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh good. I'll pick one up. It's not very often Iv ever had relay problems on any thing. But Being stuck out on the lake. Would really really suck. Fuses , volt meter , and a standard relay. Rotor , cap and a spare coil, would make a good. Starter kit. To have on board for the Electronic stuff , I recon !