Volvo Penta 5.0 502APNCA Overheating. Well, where is the impeller?!

Cruzer1800

Cadet
Well first off, yes I am new here and seeking help. Had a 1996 Chris Craft Concept 19 for about 5 years, first problem with it. Took it out for the first time this year, overheated big time. Once back home, put on the muffs and there is NO water coming out of the engine anywhere. (Usually pours hot water out transom from somewhere) SO.. reading on here as to what the problem is. Well first off it looks like this is NOT a volvo from what I am reading... looks like a OMC or Ford or who knows... Threads all talk about check the impeller in outdrive first as that is usually the problem before water pump on engine. So I took apart the outdrive as described and I dont see any dang impeller!?!? Drive unit says it is a Cobra SV, model # 3868389 but finding info on the webernet is overwhelming. Is this one that has impeller on the actual water pump?? Before I open that can of mess, do any of you boat gurus here have any advice...I would sure appreciate it!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have an engine/drive from the OMC Volvo joint venture years. It is basically a Volvo.

Your impeller is in a small belt driven water pump down near the starboard side of the engine. Not to be confused with the circulation pump at the center of the engine.

Your engine is indeed a Ford engine...not a great thing especially if you have fuel injection.

Here is a whole set of paper OEM nanuals for your engine/drive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Volvo-P...JT2T7X&vxp=mtr

Go to this link for manuals. You have an "NC" model.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

This shows the cooling system on page 306
http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals...gine.html#/306

Last edited:

Cruzer1800

Cadet
Thank you for your help Bruceb58! I will look over this info when I have a faster internet connection... too slow from my current location. Do you know if replacement parts are readily available for boats this old and recommend somewhere to purchase them if needed? Thanks again for helping.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Everything is available except for Ford soecic parts which is a huge problem.

Cruzer1800

Cadet
Oops I posted this first on the wrong thread by accident and got corrected by a moderator, lol sorry new guy here.. my bad! Question was: I found the raw water pump where described, pulled it off and disassembled it. The impeller has ZERO fins on it, perfectly round. Well, there's your problem. Now Im wondering where all of those random little pieces of rubber are going to land...? Is there some spot they will collect, or will the just wash out?? Thank you!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You'll want to backflush the cooling system to get them out of the tubes. They tend to collect in the thermostat housing because of the small routing openings.