Need some help with overheating 1978 24' Chris Craft Cruiser

fish4boats

Seaman
I have no idea why it's overheating. I changed the impeller in the pump. It's a sheerwood g30. Replaced it with the correct impeller. It never did overheat until it just started to all the sudden. I just can't seem to figure it out. The serial number on the penta drive is almost gone and I can't seem to trace down which drive it is. No cracked hoses. All clamps are tight. Everything seems fine. Any help would be appreciated . Engine # 282014 Model 350 glv I think the serial on the outdrive is 2818691?
Thanks folks

Attachments

• 20160426_163522.jpg
    20160426_163522.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160426_163536.jpg
    20160426_163536.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160426_183031.jpg
    20160426_183031.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160426_183039.jpg
    20160426_183039.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Can you tell us a bit more about how it was doing before the impeller was replaced and was it regular maintenance or because it did start to over heat?

How long have you had the boat and how much was it being used before this started?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
​Did it overheat at idle or just underway?
Front of the drive where the hose connects is a fitting that rots away.
Lift drive and inspect.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have an answer for the overheating, except for the possibility of the pick up hose & water neck that was mentioned b4. We replace our impeller last year on a volvo 280 application and recall it came with lubricating oil for the impeller for initial start up.

Is that alternator for a car or truck? It doesn't look marine to me.

fish4boats

Seaman
That is an alternator chevy one wire.

The boat I bought last year. It did not over heat at first but the third time out it started to overheat. Only when going slow. Higher rpm 3000 ish it would cool right down. I changed the impeller because it was not in great shape. I found today that it has thermostats in the risers near the back that are not working properly. Tested in a pan of boiling water. Could this be an issue and are they needed?All hoses seem fine but it's just not getting good circulation.

Today i took off the water pump and circulation pump and also all the hoses. Risers seem clear. I will add pictures a little later

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Closer pics of the manifolds and where the thermo's go??(curious)
​And yes if the thermo's aint right it will overheat.

fish4boats

Seaman
I'm gonna have them dipped. I believe as long as chunks are not possibly gonna fall off/out rust wise A little surface rust will not hurt it.. Right? A new one will get surface rust after running for a bit right?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm gonna have them dipped. I believe as long as chunks are not possibly gonna fall off/out rust wise A little surface rust will not hurt it.. Right? A new one will get surface rust after running for a bit right?

Agree, so long as the face sealing surfaces clean up

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had an over heating issue, Id already changed the impeller, checked all the obvious things which seemed ok, all i ended up doing was investing in a new venus water filter along with new hoses which cured it!

I believe the old original filter/strainer was drawing in air, enough to reduce the cooling efficiency. Being made of metal you cant see the level of flow where the new one has a perspex lid for good indication.

fish4boats

Seaman
the last set of pictures I posted. It's the first picture. The housing the bolts to the intake the has one water intake from the circulation pump and 4 outlets equals five nozzles lol. I can't find the part anywhere and the pictures show the only numbers on it. I need to know what the part is called and possibly a part number

alldodge

Staff member
OK got it, that would be the thermostat housing from my view. This being a VP my knowledge is limited. Unable to locate it online

captmello

Captain
That is not a Volvo Penta Part. Your motor was not marinized by Volvo Penta so that Thermostat housing could be any brand. It says Marine Power on your outdrive, not Volvo Penta. I've seen many different names on those outdrives, but they are all Volvos, but not the engine parts.

alldodge

Staff member
Capt Think it's crusader? Could always look up on the Merc side and see what I find

fish4boats

Seaman
I can usually find the parts after some hours of research but this one has eluded me. I know the outdrive is a penta aq 280. The engine matches the cruisader but differs in areas. I just can't seem to come up with the part or number. I can take pictures of whatever you guys would need just let me know. There are tons of pictures throught the post. Thanks a million guys I highly appreciate it more than I can say

captmello

Captain
To me, that housing doesn't look too bad. Most thermo housings don't have that many outlets. The extras must be there to feed those old style Chris craft exhaust manifolds. Was the boat used in salt water ever? If so the exhaust manifolds could be plugged up causing circulation issues.