Curious fuel problem - Volvo 230A (or AQ131)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
1990 Glastron with 230A engine - (also known as the AQ131)

I have a curious problem with this boat - hope my fellow Iboaters can help me! This engine starts fine and gets up to speed with no issues. After a few minutes (maybe five) at around 3- 4000 rpms, the boat starts to stumble and eventually dies.

This has happened since I "resurrected" this boat. (When I bought it, it was in bad shape). I had siphoned all the fuel I could originally then put in fresh fuel and a water separator. At first, I simply chalked it up to some lingering water and gunk in the tank. In fact, I confirmed it by changing the water separator canister. The boat ran great again with a new filter canister.

But after a couple times of this, I figured something else must be the problem. I poured the fuel out of the old canister and it looked fine. No water or gunk. I screwed the old filter back on - boat ran fine for another five minutes. When I listen carefully as I unscrew the canister, I can hear air hissing in, like a vacuum has been released.

Here's the curious part. Everything on the fuel tank and all hoses are brand new. New filler hose. New vent hose. New check valve in tank fitting, along with new nylon tube. New fuel lines from tank to filter and filter to pump.

Last time it did it I tried removing the gas filler cap. No difference. Still a vacuum when I unscrew the filter.

Bad anti-siphon valve? It is brand new, but maybe bad from the start? Weak fuel pump?

I am going to remove the ant-siphon valve and install a regular barb fitting first and see if that solves the problem. (At least for diagnosing purposes).

But thought I would check here to see if anyone else has a suggestion. Thoughts?

Here's a few pics of my set up...

2016-04-25%2011.39.51_zpsyqv0jv0c.jpg

2016-04-25%2011.36.44_zpsc1k486ro.jpg

2016-04-25%2011.36.26_zpsfwcctedn.jpg

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Others have indicated that this type of problem might actually be the coil or condensor. After it cuts out, check for spark and resistance across the coil. Could be the coil overheating on you. When you messed with the fuel, it may have given it a chance to cool down enough to start.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... There should be a slight hiss from the filter, as it's 'tween the fuel pump, 'n anti-siphon valve,....

Probably 'bout 2 psi vacuum, as that's 'bout what it takes to open the anti-siphon valve,....

A remote tank with fresh clean gas is another diagnostic idea,....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I pulled the anti-siphon valve this afternoon and put in a regular barbed fitting. I haven't had the opportunity to take it out yet. Will report what I find.

Pirate - it's definitely fuel related. (Of course as soon as I say that... anything is possible!) I will eliminate the fuel possibilities first.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Finally had the time to take the boat out yesterday for a cruise. I removed the anti-siphon valve with a regular barbed fitting and put another fuel water separator on. Boat runs great. No hesitation at full throttle. Ran it for a good 30 minutes or so. No issues whatsoever. (I realize I added two variables with the new separator - but the old one was barely used and the fuel looked okay with no water).

The valve I took off seemed okay. Of course, I don't have any way of scientifically testing it - the ball wasn't stuck. I tried sucking through it and was able to... with effort. (Of course I have nothing to compare it to either!)

I'm curious if anyone knows - I believe the original hose was 5/16 and I put 3/8 hose on - and a 3/8" fitting. Does it make sense that it takes more vacuum to open a 3/8" fitting as opposed to a 5/16? Could it be that simple? Or do I have a defective valve ? Or even a weak fuel pump? Not sure the best way to test this. I have a vacuum gauge but that is for vapor - not liquid. And a pressure gauge on the output of the fuel pump would not be easy due to the design of the metal Volvo fuel line.

Thoughts?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Never pour out a spin on filter and reinstall. Anything on the input side of the filter goes to the output side and then goes to your carb.

Rig up a temporary fuel line between the pump and the carb and rest that way.

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Never pour out a spin on filter and reinstall. Anything on the input side of the filter goes to the output side and then goes to your carb.

Yeah - I poured out the fuel from the old one just to see what it looked like. I put a new filter on.

Rig up a temporary fuel line between the pump and the carb and rest that way.

Not sure what this will tell? The boat is running good now.