2003 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXI - Fuel Pump fuse burns out after a few minutes ???

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This past June I brought my newly purchased twin engine 2003 Regal 28.60 Commodore into a shop too evaluate fuel and other issues
Fuel pumps were shot and this reputable shop replaced both fuel pump assemblies with new Volvo Penta fuel pumps
Generally do my own work but this time around wanted too bring boat into a legit shop too go over everything .
Possibly a good thing as yesterday my port engine would not start. I used boat day earlier and everything was good.
Get into engine room ( always fun ) and my son was at controls , he turned key too activate pump and silent.
I checked the fuses on top of engine. # 7 and it was burnt. Replaced , engine fired up. Ran 15 minutes , died
Changed fuse few times and now it burns out after a moment of running .
I don't know if its the low or high side. Was speaking with a knowledgeable repair guy that I started doing business with and he said pull one cell at a time, ( electric connections ) , sure enough as soon as I connected cell on left ( looking at engine or first cell off of filter burns out the fuse ) . Disconnected, engine operates at idle on the other cell that has red & black wires on top .
Calling shop that did the job they said Volvo guarantees their pumps one year , Job was done June
What cell is the one burning out fuses. ? high or low What causes pump too much out put too blow fuses ? .
Anybody have similar issues, and if so was it something else ?? causing pump failure
Shop is inland , boat is 31 ft and I have a trailer but hate towing . Leave Oceanside at a marina.
They have too get approval from Volvo and I hope I don't have too trailer boat and get jerked around which is why I generally do my own work.
I am hoping they will say remove, give me replacement and I can install . Only 4 bolts . Easy .
Was not too happy paying 900 hundred a piece for Volvo fuel pumps , plus 200 labor , no after market no rebuilt , few options

alldodge

Staff member
What was the original issue with the fuel system?

What cell is the one burning out fuses. ?

OK cell is the fuel pump connector. There is a low and a high pressure pump, and both pumps are feed from the same fuse and relay. When the key is turned to ON, the ECM applies a ground to the fuel pump relay which turns on the fuel pumps. If the relay is defective and making a connection it should not do inside, this may cause your issue.

Connecting one pump at a time would cause me to think that pump is the issue, but to further verify this issue I would suggest swapping the relay with a know good one. If you know which relay is the pump relay, swap it with the one on the other motor.

high or low What causes pump too much out put too blow fuses ?

Don't believe the pump is putting out to much, something is causing the pump, pump circuit or adjacent component to draw more amps.