Volvo 3.0 starter question

Sroberts882

Cadet
Just bought a 2000 sei 176 with 3.0 GS mefs. Test drove it and everything done good. Went to start it later and it just made a weird noise. Found that the starter was loose. Found a broken starter mount bolt (short) in the floor of the boat. Already gotten bolt out. I guess the starter was replaced but the bracket wasn't hooked up to the back of the starter. The starter is about 1 1/2" short from reaching the bracket. So I'm guessing aftermarket starter. Does anyone know the dimensions of the OEM starter.i cant find any numbers on the starter. thanks for any help

Sroberts882

Cadet
I have already ordered the factory long and short bolts to mount the starter. The reason for the dimensions is I've read somewhere that a aftermarket starter could be a little different therefore the bolts might need to be a little shorter or longer.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya say it has the long, 'n short bolts, so I'm guessin' the bolts are straight across from each other, that'll mean ya got the 12" flywheel,....

The 14" flywheel uses the staggered bolt pattern starters,.....

Newer starters are now perm-mag starters, much smaller, 'n much lighter,...
Still gotta be Marine rated though,....

Don't wanta blow up yer boat, 'n yerself,....

Clean up all the wirin' connectors to shiny metal clean, 'n slather some grease on 'em after ya put 'em together,....
Stops the corrosion,...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
First, Welcome to the forums! Cant tell ya the dimensions of starter/flywheel, But any starter you install must be marine rated. Spark protected. If you install a non marine starter, and fuel fumes are in the bilge, It WILL explode. Please be carefull.

Sroberts882

Cadet
Went and picked up the bolts this morning. The short bolt was way to short. It ended up being two long bolts. It has the offset holes. The guy at the Marine store said the starter looked like it was a marine starter and gear reduction. My next question is with this starter do I use two long bolts the same exact size. One hole has threads all the way through where one doesn't. Do y'all put blue lock tite on threads

Bondo

Staff member
Do y'all put blue lock tite on threads

No,.... Just tighten 'em to 'bout 35/ 40 ft.lbs....
Good, 'n tight, with a calibrated elbow,.....

If it's a staggered pattern starter, it's a 14" flywheel, 'n uses 2 long bolts,....

How the 'ell was it held in with a long, 'n a short bolt,..??

Sroberts882

Cadet
When I noticed the bolt was broken I went ahead and went to the Volvo parts store. Looked at diagram and seen it had a short bolt. I was thinking that it might be about 1/2" shorter than the long bolt. When I went and picked it up today I said well that ain't going to work. The starter doesn't reach the bracket that mounts to the back of the starter either. Going to make one.

Sroberts882

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for the help. I forgot to update the results. I was able to back out the broken screw without any trouble. Made me a bracket to attach to end of the starter. Took the boat out the past few days and it worked fine. Now to figuring out what prop I want to go to. Thanks for the help