Volvo AQ170C Oil Change Engine Flush Recommendations Please

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Chaps!

Can anyone please recommend a engine cleaner i can flush through the engine before doing a oil and filter change, as ive mentioned in previous posts my engine was running pretty rich for a while leaving a sooty mess everywhere!

Thanks in advance :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its called detergent oil (most oils are detergent oil). if your engine was running so rich that you had raw gas in the oil, the raw gas is a solvent.

simply change your oil and go. No need to add anything to the motor to flush

however assuming that your motor was running rich and you want to clean the combusion side of the parts, adding something to the oil isnt going to fix that. the oil is on the other side of the parts that see the combusion process

if you really want to clean carbon (soot) from the motor, bring the RPM's up to about 3000 and introduce a mist of water to the intake. it will crystalize the carbon and blow it out the tail pipe. or simply go for a long run at just about WOT - it will do the same thing.

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for that info Scott

I was in 2 minds about adding a cleaner, the oil seems pretty black, it got black fairly quickly after the last oil change.

Do you mean introduce a mist of water from a spray bottle or that type of thing? Add it to the carb throat?

How long do you recommend I do this for? How many times?

Regards
Mark

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Addin' snake oil to the oil cleans out yer wallet more so than the motor,.....

The decarbonizin' trick is to pour water down the intake, while holdin' the throttle to 'bout 1500 rpms or so,.....

I usually use a 12oz./ 16oz. soda bottle, 'n pour it in just fast enough to slightly labor the motor,....
12oz./ 16oz. is plenty,.... I try to do it Just before a motor tear-down,.....
It'll clean the combustion chambers to like new clean,....

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,... Addin' snake oil to the oil cleans out yer wallet more so than the motor,.....

The decarbonizin' trick is to pour water down the intake, while holdin' the throttle to 'bout 1500 rpms or so,.....

I usually use a 12oz./ 16oz. soda bottle, 'n pour it in just fast enough to slightly labor the motor,....
12oz./ 16oz. is plenty,.... I try to do it Just before a motor tear-down,.....
It'll clean the combustion chambers to like new clean,....

Thanks for that Bondo!

Can I perform this even though im not planning on a tear-down?

Worth doing before the oil change or does it make no difference?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The water method works great for decarbonizing the cylinders. If you want to clean the internals then you can use the various motor flush additives. A cheaper alternative is to use diesel fuel. Drain a little oil out and top it off with diesel fuel. Run the engine, then drain the oil and refill with fresh oil and filter.

I once had a project boat I bought where the oil came out in lumps. :eek: I just used straight diesel fuel instead of oil and ran it for about five minutes. Would I recommend it? Probably not. ;) But worked great for me with no damage to the engine whatsoever.

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the advice!

All sorted now! I got the engine warm, increased the revs and used a mist of water into each intake in turns, i used approx 300ml of water in total, worked a treat!
I then added additives to the oil and idled the engine for 20 mins, drained it, new oil and filter!

Running noticeably smoother!

Jobs a gooden!