VP 740A engine damper (coupler) alternative

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So I am still gathering parts for the BBC upgrade to the boat. I started looking at the dampers. my old SBC had a triangular damper plate retained with 3 screws. the VP 740's had a round unit with larger springs, retained by all 6 screws.

That was P/N 856346 which is NLA. Does anyone know if the Mercruiser unit is similar? any help would be appreciated.

Im off to the land of Ebay and CL for now

Scott Danforth

Staff member
ok, to close the loop on this. the damper drive plate for the 12-7/8" flywheel (10.5" GM clutch pattern) is a volvo only thing

it is based on the standard drive plates, however for the small flywheel.

since the only thing I could find was a used one that had worn out splines, I just ordered a new Alta DA-107 for the 14 inch flywheel which has both the 10.5" and 11" clutch bolt patterns I will simply trim off in the lathe at work.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Glad ya figured it out,....

Pretty weird that Volvo runs so many motors with the small flywheel,....

Yer block is drilled for the straight pattern starter, Right,..??

Scott Danforth

Staff member
block has both starter holes. new pertronix contour starter is an either-or starter (either 153 or 168) . the early AQ flywheel housing is about 1/4" too small of a casting opening to get a 14" flywheel in it. or I would have got one from Innovation Marine. if the casting had more meat, I would have simply opened up the hole.

flywheel is a 26# SFI 1.1 rated billet unit from Speedway. thought of going with a 16#, however I want the boat to have manors at idle. remember my last car with a light-weight flywheel, if the A/C came on at the light, the motor would snub