Removing Volvo/penta steering Ram ( actuator) in a larson i/o setup

prolimo99

Cadet
I need help in removing a leaking steering ram out of a 2003 Larson 190 I/o 4.3 Volvo /penta. There are 2 pins and one bolt with cotter pins holding the larger pins in place. I need to find out how much do I take this rea engine compartment apart before getting to where I need to be. the ram leaks about a quart an hour if I drove it that much. The leak is on the bottom rod out of the piston area. These can be resealed with the correct seals installed.

Bondo

Staff member
I need to find out how much do I take this rea engine compartment apart before getting to where I need to be.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Post some pictures, We can't see yer boat,....

It wouldn't surprise me, that ya might have to pull the motor,....

Boat Builders are never kind to Mechanics, they make everything difficult to work on,.....

prolimo99

Cadet
I have no way to do photos and the camera would not be able to show you the area(poor lighting and tight area to shoot in . One bolt with a pin goes thru a steel arm off the rear wall and I think at the other end of the ram , there is a large pin with a cotter pin holding it place. This is very hard to reach and I have no idea how to remove the cotter and then the pin . This may not do anything after removed (the pin) . I just can't tell .

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP expert but have found the newer VP rams are very close to the Merc. The Merc has two pins with cotter pins holding each. One supplies the hydraulic assist and the other is pinned to the tiller (outdrive).

tiller.jpg

prolimo99

Cadet
Your posting of the diagrams may have solved my big problem. Now if it did ,I might have to remove the engine to get to the other pin holding the ram in place. Besides the main nut and bolt holding the engine to the floor, how do I disconnect the engine from the drive line.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Which drive ya got,..?? the SX,..??

Pull the drive, all the wirin', plumbin, exhaust boots, the bolts behind the motor, 'n the lag bolts at the front mounts,....

Bondo

Staff member
I don't know what you're talking about , so you ahead and follow your instructions-all I did was to remove 2 bolts and 2 pin and cotter pins.

Ayuh,.... Ya lost me,....

You asked about pullin' the motor,....