need help with pilot bearing, in end of crankshaft AQ131C? B230

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
So, I pulled my engine for maintenance and found no ball bearing in the end of the crankshaft. There is a small donut adapter which looks like it was meant for an automatic transmission (engine in boat is not original).

I've pulled it out of the crankshaft and set it on my outdrive splined shaft in the picture.
So my question is this, If I buy pilot bearing part 11009, will it fit in the end of an automobile crankshaft (B230 engine vintage 1989)?
Also, is it a 'standard' bearing available from bearing supply house?
seems I need a 15x35 metric bearing

Attachments

• photo241502.JPG
    photo241502.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 0

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's no clutch involved so the flywheel/damper plate and transmission shaft are both always turning at the same speed = no need for a bearing. Mine just has a bushing and I'm not sure how important the bushing really is.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, no clutch, but it does have the flex plate with springs. This absorbs some shock when going into gear, so for a brief second, the flywheel and shaft displace a few degrees and spring back. And with no bushing or bearing, I may have found my slight vibration issue. The bushing or bearing keeps the front of the shaft straight, the big bearing in the bell housing holds the back of the shaft straight.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
You get the vibration idling? turning?
Pic of the old crank end?

The 'old crank' had the adapter, I pulled it out and placed it on the end of the shaft in the pic.
I ordered a ball bearing and will post results.
Today I tried to make sure the fuel pump worked with the intermediate shaft and the fork broke inside, Bring On Another $70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT8Ahi9nUNs

rkcarguy

Cadet
The bearing doesn't spin, but it's still needed to center the end of the intermediate shaft and allow a little bit of spin when the flex plate gives. I could see bad things happening to your flywheel housing and PDS bearing over time without this.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I did a lot of measuring and bought a ball bearing. Test fit it with a spare crank and my bell housing ( while off of the engine.)
Seems to do the job.
IMG_0166 - Copy.JPG
Put boat all back together and got the timing belt off by one tooth :-(

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good you got that squared away.

BTW - The Photobucket link is bad. You need to link to your album.