Popping Fuse

Pablo78

Recruit
I have a 1982 Bayliner Capri with a Volvo Penta 270 outdrive. 4 cylinder AQ125. I replaced the ignition switch a few years ago and had no problems starting her up. Now when I try to crank her up, the ignition fuse keeps popping. I checked for a pinched wire and even put in a new ignition switch but it keeps popping.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1982 Bayliner Capri with a Volvo Penta 270 outdrive. 4 cylinder AQ125. I replaced the ignition switch a few years ago and had no problems starting her up. Now when I try to crank her up, the ignition fuse keeps popping. I checked for a pinched wire and even put in a new ignition switch but it keeps popping.

My first guess would be your start relay (not the relay/solenoid on the starter) it may be shorting out.

Also there should be two wires on the positive side of the coil. One comes from the start circuit and the other comes from the run (ballast resistor or wire) circuit. Remove both wires and crank it over. If it cranks over and does not blow the fuse it is the wire or coil