What Replaced Volvo Penta Full Synthetic SAE 30 Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapa123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I'm sure this has been talked about, but I just found out that this oil is no longer available. I have a 2006 Volvo Penta 5.7GXi/DP 320hp engine in my Four Winns boat. I have always used Volvo Penta Full Synthetic gasoline engine oil SAE 30. What oil is recommended for its replacement? Thanks, Ray

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Any other oil with the same specs as the Volvo oil,.....

I never use motor manufacturer's branded oil, they ain't makin' it, just rebrandin' it, 'n chargin' ya more for it,....

rapa123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the reply........ In all likelihood I'll make sure I get a brand SAE 30 synthetic oil. Mobil 1 seems to be a popular choice. I did get an email from Volvo Penta below; Thanks again, Ray :)

Hello Mr. Sherman,
The recommended oil now is 10W40 full synthetic.
It is basically a superior oil providing a wider range of protection to the engine on different operating temperatures.

Kind regards,
Volvo Penta of the Americas
Customer Relations
Telephone: 866-273-2539
Telefax: 757-436-5150
Visit our website: www.volvopenta.com

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just wanted to chime in on the actual recommended oil for your engine.

There was a lot of confusion after Volvo discontinued their straight 30 syn oil. At first the seemingly clear message was that now Volvos 10w-40 was the recommended oil for all engines, but Volvo and its dealers seemed to be sending mixed messages. Manuals saying one thing, dealers and Volvo customer support all having various statements.

I have a 1999 5.0 Gi. I did a lot of research into it and called Volvo to get better clarification on the matter, because my concern was that Volvo's 10w-40 was designed for their post catalytic engines produced from 2008 and on. Mind you those engines, beyond just the emissions equipment, are based on a completely different generation of GM small block than our engines.

What I ended up finding was a Volvo technical bulletin that specially stated that the following:

All 2008 and newer engines were to switch to Volvos 10w-40

All gasoline engines prior to 2008 were to use Volvo's VDS-3 Oil (Which is Volvos diesel specification, 15w40)

This would mean Oils such as, Rotella 15w40, Delo 15w40, Volvos own 15w40 etc are now the recommended spec also, also some have used Rosella Syn t6 5w40. I personally use Rosella 15w40. Another oil I would consider is Mobil 1 Syn15w-50.

Here is the link to the bulletin, see page two:

Last edited:

BellevilleMXZ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah I'm running the T6 in mine now. Very good oil used by many people in HP gas engines , with very good test results.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
This would mean Oils such as, Rotella 15w40, Delo 15w40, Volvos own 15w40 etc are now the recommended spec also, also some have used Rosella Syn t6 5w40. I personally use Rosella 15w40.
The 10W-40 oil is a synthetic oil. You can't use the ones you mention.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 10W-40 oil is a synthetic oil. You can't use the ones you mention.

I know they are not synthetic, nor is Volvo Penta's VDS-3 (specifically their oil and the VDS-3 spec approval in general) which Volvo recommends for engines prior to 2008 in the Service Bulletin attached. The problem with Volvo's 10w-40 is that its additive package and viscosity shear rate may be not very suitable for the earlier engines. A 15w-40 HDEO like Volvo's VDS-3 spec oils are very shear stable and have very robust additive packages which would be more in line with a straight 30 weight.

The problem is using a one size fits all for multiple engine displacements ranging over the course of 30 years with the 10w-40 just never made any sense. Volvo doesn't want to have more than one line of oil produced for them because it keeps things cheap for them so they discontinued the straight-30.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've been using Royal Purple 15w-40 for years now, seems fine

LKG4ME

Recruit
Can I mix the Volvo Penta SAE 30 oil that I still have (unopened) with the Volvo Penta 10W40 in my Volvo Penta 2009 I/O?

Status
Not open for further replies.