Stalls out/Then will start 5 minutes later

OH10

Cadet
I have a 1998 Regal 2100 LSR with a 5.0LPBYC Volvo Penta engine in it. Every time I take it out to the river i make sure everything works. I always run the engine at my house and check everything out before i take it down to the river. It runs great next to my house. But when i get the boat into water it starts up then stalls out. I will try to restart it but it won't. It sounds like it wants to turn over but just won't. 5 min later it starts up and runs fine for the 4 hours were out on the river. Have no idea. I have checked to see if there is any loose wires but nothing. Any ideas???????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Start with the basics. Clean both connections on the battery and the other end of the wires at the starter and solenoid.

That is for the restart problem, The stalling will be something, most likely.

Last edited:

OH10

Cadet
Well after testing many parts i think it has to do something with the fuel pump. The boat starts up fine and then stalls. I think it starts because of the fuel already near the carb and when that runs out it stalls out. I try to force fuel in the carb by pulling on the throttle and its very loose and free flowing like no fuel is coming in. So its either a bad fuel pump or the power connection going to the pump is not getting power. I might just by an extra pump just in case. Anyone else have issues like this?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried running it on a different fuel source, like an outboard fuel tank? ? Is there a water separator filter in the line? Any fuel filter? Most electric fuel pumps have cutoff switch to shut off if the engine stalls. A switch sensing oil pressure would do that.

Last edited:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I read on here about the ethanol eating the paint in the fuel system and clogging the pickup screen or something like that. Sounds like it could maybe be something to look into.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Kind of a common problem. Fuel pump gets its power from starter solenoid during cranking and than from the alternator once the engine starts.
Your problem sounds like the check valve in the pump is getting sticky. Never had much luck cleaning it, never tried to disassemble it. have had some luck replacing the anti-syphon valve with a high quality on from OMC/BRP. Have had a couple of customers that installed an outboard primer bulb in line between tank and filter. That is something you could install for testing to confirm that the check valve in the pump is bad. But please remove it once your done testing because its both illegal and dangerous. No primer bulb that I'm aware of is approved for use in an I/O engine compartment.

lihartke

Cadet
If u are always stahling off the dock there is a device in the throttle that temporarily stalhls the engine so u can go from forward to reverse without harming the gears. It may be interuppting longer than it is supposed to and stalling but when you go to start from neutral you wouldn't be using that so you would run fine. Does it stahl in forward or reverse? If it's reverse I'd check that interupter switch. If it were a bad fuel pump I don't think you would have the exact same experience everytime. You would have to stahl somewhere in that 4 hour window and u never do. Don't replace your pump without getting the pressure tested or whatever you need to do. Trust me one new part that you do not need won't solve your problem anyway. Eliminate the fuel pump by running an alternate fuel source/ or oressure testing it:)

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
If u are always stahling off the dock there is a device in the throttle that temporarily stalhls the engine so u can go from forward to reverse without harming the gears. It may be interuppting longer than it is supposed to and stalling but when you go to start from neutral you wouldn't be using that so you would run fine. :)

Volvo's dont use a shift interrupt system.

OH10

Cadet
So I replaced the fuel pump and now everything works fine. I also cleared all the lines to make sure there wasn't any obstructions.