7.4 volvo electric fuel pump stopped working

frank j

Cadet
electric fuel pump stopped working, replaced contactor, no help than jumped contactor pump started and gas flowed into the filter bowl, pump still wont run when jumper removed. opened wire harness and found diodes tested good. need ideas

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Carb or fuel injection? If you have diodes, I am going to guess its a carb.

Model number?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be the signal from the oil pump pressure switch to keep it running isnt there.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Separate subject...you should not be using a glass or clear filter in an enclosed bilge in a gasoline powered boat.

Hmm..I was thinking of adding one to mine. Could you please elaborate why it's not a good idea?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hmm..I was thinking of adding one to mine. Could you please elaborate why it's not a good idea?
Not fire resistant per USCG(CFR) and ABYC. Same reason you can't use an outboard squeeze bulb inline in a bilge.

There are Racors that have a clear container on the bottom to collect the water and the ones for gasoline all have a heat shield designed to cover it.

Look at the bottom of this page and it will say not for use with inboard motors. Now you know why.
http://www.iboats.com/Moeller-In-Li...5895223--session_id.738048290--view_id.392153

Last edited:

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Not fire resistant per USCG(CFR) and ABYC. Same reason you can't use an outboard squeeze bulb inline in a bilge.

There are Racors that have a clear container on the bottom to collect the water and the ones for gasoline all have a heat shield designed to cover it.

Look at the bottom of this page and it will say not for use with inboard motors. Now you know why.
http://www.iboats.com/Moeller-In-Li...5895223--**********.738048290--view_id.392153

Are the ones with the heat shield okay for an inboard engine? I've been wanting to add one to mine and I found a Racor that has a metal container satisfying the USCG rules but it's not see-through. The clear bowl is much better to see accumulated water or debris.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are the ones with the heat shield okay for an inboard engine? I've been wanting to add one to mine and I found a Racor that has a metal container satisfying the USCG rules but it's not see-through. The clear bowl is much better to see accumulated water or debris.
The one with the metal shield is the one allowed for gasoline inboard engines. If you have an outboard, then the clear one is fine.

frank j

Cadet
I am getting 8 volts at the yellow/ red wire in the contactor wiring receptacle when I crank the engine I also get 8 volts at the ignition switch that feeds the contactor
will 8 volts fire off the pump or does it need the 12volts

frank j

Cadet
where can I buy the diodes in the fuel pump circuit ??? cant find them in the service manuals

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is your model number?

You should have more than 8V. How are you measuring the voltage? Are you pulling out the fuel pump relay and measuring at the contact that powers that turns on the relay? What pins are you measuring across from?

The diodes are embedded in the harness. The chance of diodes being bad are VERY small.

If you jump between pins 85 and 87, does the pump turn on?

Again, we need to know what you have. Here is a good diagram of a LK carb model.

2012-06-22_154617_volvo_fuel_pump_circuit_96.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
EDIT....mistake in the previous post. Should be...If you jump between pins 30 and 87, does the pump turn on?