Volvo 5.0gi riser question

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
1996 volvo penta 5.0 gipbycce. Pulled the engine (I'll spare the details) and am in the process of puting it back together. I only want to do this once so I want to make sure all my bases are covered. Looking in the lower exhaust there are flapper valves. They do not move freely (boat has been sitting for a decade!) so I was looking to replace them. Upon research I found a bulletin that states that after further testing volvo has determined those flapper valve are no longer needed and to discard them when they stop functioning... no problem. However I have also noted that they have changed the risers from 8" to 11". So my question is are the valves no longer needed because of the increased height in the risers? Should I just try to free up the flapper valves and still use them? Or should I God forbid just buy the newer risers... I may have to anyway. I haven't checked inside those yet for corrosion. Thanks in advance.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The flappers proved to be more problems than they solved. The taller risers will prevent water intrusion into the motor from the risers being lower than the water line. The higher the better.

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP guy but Merc still uses them. Your answer why VP doesn't use them anymore is because they increased the height as stated. Might be cheaper from my view point to replace the flappers

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat worked fine with them before so I planned on just replacing them. They are an obsolete part and I can't find them. Obviously over the last 20 years improvements have been made and volvo got rid of them for a reason. I don't really want to spend the money but don't want to junk an engine because of being cheap. Thanks for the replies.

alldodge

Staff member
Understand the dilemma, maybe a place like ebay may have one. I'll add this to another reason not to have VP, lack of support for older models. The part from the pic looks like the Merc model 807166A3, not saying this will work it just looks like it

Found the VP part number 3853864 by googling it

Maclin

Admiral
Volvo quit using them in '98-'99 time frame and also put out a tech bulletin on how to remove them and plug the pivot pin holes in previous SX models. If you search the forum I bet you will find a consensus that they are not needed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know, Volvo did not make the risers taller. I would just get rid of the flappers.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep. The bulletin is how I found out. But the dilemma is that I don't know if they are no longer needed because of the added height to the risers or are they just not needed? The risers were also in a bulletin and started out as a 3" extension kit which is no longer sold. I did find the flapper and pin and bushings on ebay. Time to check out the risers and manifolds and decide if I should just bite the bullet. Thanks again.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Volvo just decided you don't need them at all, regardless of riser height. If you want the riser extension kit for peace of mind then have at it, but it's not required in substitution for removing the flappers.