Volvo Penta spark plug wires

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just finished repowering my 2000 Larson 330 Cabrio ( twin 5.7 GSI W/dp-sm) and i'm trying to come up with 2 things, 1st need some suggestions on spark plug wires. Belden used to make a pretty good marine set but don't any more and the local people what me to make them from a roll of cable. I was thinking a Hi-proformance set might work any thoughts? and 2nd the power steering runs only off the starboard engine and I would like the be able to switch to the port engine if or when I have a problem. the pump, hoses and cooler are all there for the port engine and it should be just creative valving.anyone ever done something like this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I just order a set of wires, install, and go boating

don't over complicate your power steering. if you ever have an issue where the starboard motor is dead, your steering will be just a little stiff.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Any VP dealer or internet seller, including iboats should be able to get you a set of plug wires for your motor. I cant help with the power steering issue, sorry.

Bondo

Staff member
I was thinking a Hi-proformance set might work any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... I've seen times when such wires make it impossible to hear yer radios,....

Plain ole wires work just fine, though automotive wire kits are usually to short,...

cptbill

Been there done that as they say in regards to the power steering and let me tell you it's way harder to turn than I remember or the years have been less kind to me than I thought. VP dealer is the one who wants to sell me make it your self wires that being said I was not sure there was a difference in the wires so I found 2 sets of accel wires that were 8mm(oe is 8.5) so we will see I guess. thanks for the help guess i'll have to ponder the p.s solution

jrgcbg40

Seaman Apprentice
I like the UNITED MARINE IGNITION WIRE 109 or 130 set for V8 ($46.89 for the 109) ( 56.79 for the 130) at Rock Auto. I didn't see them offered on I boats.
I used the V6 set for mine and they work great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i'll have to ponder the p.s solution

remember, if you do not circulate and cool the PS fluid, you will burn out your pump. for the slim chance (less than 1 in 50,000) that you will ever have an issue, your more likely to burn up the second pump (1 in 2 chance)

there is a reason millions, (more like hundreds of millions) of boats with twins only offer one motor with the power steering pump. I have a background in hydraulics, controls, and diesel engines, and I wouldnt even dream of worrying about the power steering system.

the only thing I would ever consider would be an electric power steering pump, then as long as you have battery power, you have power steering.

cptbill

Thanks Scott, I have currently got pumps ,coolers and lines on both engines which is why I think some creative valving might work. On the tugs I ran we used 2 pumps and 2 fluid tanks but had to turn 2 valves on or off depending one which one was being used. On the old YP boats we ran 4 engines and 2 transmissions and had a valving system so you could run 1 or 2 engines on each transmission. any way I always like to have a back up just in case

cptbill

United Marine at Rock Auto got it. Thanks I'll put that I'm my files