Volvo Penta 5.7 GI-E 2006 stalling problem.

Espen

Cadet
When i reduce throttle, quickly from 1200 rpm to idle (700 rpm) the engine stops in one out of ten times, The IAC sensor has been replaced, but the same problem occurs. Anyone with knowledge of this problem?

In advanced, thanks!

Espen - Norway.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Have you removed and cleaned or replaced the IAC muffler? The muffler is a piece of foam inside the throat of the throttle body.

Espen

Cadet
Hello.

I'm not shure. The replacement was done by a Volvo mechanics....... I'll check.

Thx, so fare :)

alldodge

Staff member
Agree I am unable to find it on VP website but can find it on a Merc. It might not have one but I find in most cases the parts are the same for both engines, both are GM, part number 35-863829

I'm trying to upload a pic so you can see where it's at but so far no luck, will try again shortly

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
No Title

IAC muffler.jpg

Attachments

• photo237325.jpg
    photo237325.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3

Espen

Cadet
Thank you for the picture. Do you know any other reason that can cause the failure?

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you for the picture. Do you know any other reason that can cause the failure?

Has the engine been checked for code?
If you have the muffler and it's dirty then the engine cannot get enough air during idle. Other possibilities could be:
Fuel pressure not within spec
Bad/loose ground
Loosing 12V power due to bad or loose connection
Vacuum leak
The throttle position sensor is loose bad cable connection or problem with the sensor

Espen

Cadet
Thanks again!

The engine has been tested and the IAC sensor "failed". It has been replaced, but still the same problem. The engine looks like new and it has a runtime for only 180 ours. There is no muffler in my throtllebody and i dont think there should be any.......

Perhaps i should replace the throttle position sensor or the MAT/MAP sensor?

alldodge

Staff member
If it was a bad IAC, MAT/MAP or throttle position sensor there should be a code seen by the ECM. If there is a bad connection in a wire going to one of these sensors can also cause the issue but would also show a code. If the IAC is still showing a failure then I would suggest checking continuity and connections on the plugs.

Don't just buy more parts unless you have plenty of money to throw at it