Volvo 250 Steering Yoke bushings

edcalkins

Recruit
We are restoring a 1969 Donzi that has a Ford engine with a Volvo 250 (early series) outdrive. The engine and drive were marketed and are branded by Holman and Moody. As part of the project we are installing all new bushings in the drive. We purchased two new steering yoke bushings and the lower rubber seal for the 250. The new bushings seem to be very tight on the yoke (however they do fit and are Volvo parts). This is the non-splined yoke. And the yoke was difficult to install into the bushings. The result is the steering arm and yoke are very difficult to move. You can push and pull the arm to rotate the yoke (drive is not installed yet) but it takes a lot of force. It seems to me that the steering would be difficult (we do not have the deck on the boat so we can't test the steering cable on the steering arm/yoke at this time). Possibly the new bushings should be this tight, we are not sure. Any advice? I am considering putting the old bushings in or trying to hone out the new ones somewhat. They seem too tight to us. Thanks for your assistance. Ed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being a 1969, its a little old for me. Maybe muc can chime in.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The condition of the holes when the old was removed?
​Possible they need cleaning?
The yoke itself might need to be wire brushed?
This have a grease zerk on the shaft?
You grease it?