Fuel Cell whine.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
What's up everyone,

I recently discovered this forum and I have a concern that maybe I can get some help with.

Now to business, I recently installed a brand new fuel cell on my Volvo Penta because the last one I had took a dump on me. The boat is running perfect with the new pump, but I'm still getting a loud whine coming from the pump. It gets really hot to the touch. The boat still performs with no problems even when hot. It's a 5.0L GXi-E with SX drive.

I guess my question is, are these pumps cooled by water intake or the actual gas itself? I'm in the process of buying a new raw water pump because I don't know when was the last time it was replaced but I'm not sure if this would even fix my problem with the fuel pump. I've only had the cell installed for a few months and I don't want it to go bad on me especially if it's avoidable. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Thanks guys

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: to iboat Blue2005. Nice to have you aboard...

Are you saying that you installed a new fuel cell with a new fuel pump installed in that fuel cell? Or is the fuel pump external of the fuel cell? If it is external and making loud noises, I suggest you look into replacing it or having it replace via the guarantee. Any fuel pump getting hot is not a good thing. JMHO!

Thalasso

Commander
There cooled by water. There should be a schrader valve on the low side pump. (usually the one that goes bad). Test the pressure. Should be around 13 lbs
To test the high side the valve is on the fuel rail

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
They are cooled by water. If they are getting hot to touch make sure that it is getting cooling water, I think it comes off the thermostat housing. Make sure you do not have a plugged or clogged hose. Try blowing through it.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the welcome guys. I did a test a while back and there is indeed water flowing into the cell. But I'm not sure if the amount is adequate. I do have to do a pressure test and see how much I get. That I haven't done.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would check the cooling passage in the exhaust riser where the cooling water from the pump exits. Just follow the line from the top of the fuel pump and remove the fitting from the riser. I too have pump wine and mine was very plugged up at both the riser and the input from the heat ex changer.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
I would check the cooling passage in the exhaust riser where the cooling water from the pump exits. Just follow the line from the top of the fuel pump and remove the fitting from the riser. I too have pump wine and mine was very plugged up at both the riser and the input from the heat ex changer.

That's exactly what my issue was. The hose that brings the water into the pump was bent and water wasn't circulating thus leading to my pump overheating. Thanks for all the help guys.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`m glad that you didn't have to end up replacing the fuel cell again. I`m sure your wallet is also.

Fun Times

Staff member
That's exactly what my issue was. The hose that brings the water into the pump was bent and water wasn't circulating thus leading to my pump overheating. Thanks for all the help guys.
Pretty cool of you to report your findings of the blocked/kinked water passage....That don't happen on the forum as often as we'd like.:encouragement:

While inadequate water flow has been mentioned and discovered in the past, usually with the Volvo fuel pump cells running hot with the whine noises, the first thought process is inadequate fuel supply or air bubbles getting to the fuel system. Posting a description of what water hoses to inspect either internally or externally should help more members out a lot in the future.:)

Glad yours was an easier one to find and repair.:thumb:

For future members with the fuel cell whine noise, if it turns out not be a water blockage like mentioned above, the following link offers many other symptoms that could be an issues, along with some testing's to try and possible do it yourself repairs to some fuel cells by way of finding new O-rings that may fit as the fuel cells aren't considered serviceable by Volvo,
http://forums.iboats.com/search?q=V...ON={"keywords":"Volvo+Penta+Fuel+Cell+whine"}