Volvo Penta 8.1GXi-D overheat

ESM-James

Cadet
I have a 2004 Volvo Penta 8.1GXi-D with a DP-SM sterndrive that has corsa captains call exhaust (captains call lets the exhaust go out through either the drive or through hulls). The problem is if the exhaust goes out through the through hulls no problem engine runs normally if it goes out through the drive it will overheat. This engine has a raw water cooling system is used in fresh water and had the sea water pump impeller replaced in the spring when the problem was first observed. Changing the impeller did not correct the problem. Any ideas on what might be causing this overheat. I have taken the drive off and do not see anything blocking the exhaust.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
At 1st I was thinking of the sending unit. But No..... then I was thinking of some obstacle Blocking the exhaust of running it through the exhaust ports.
Just a thought. I to woul​d like to know what you find

ESM-James

Cadet
That was my though as well that something was blocking the exhaust but after I removed the sterndrive I did not find any blockage. I even used my inspection camera to see if there was something way up inside the drive or the exhaust at the back of the boat.

I do have a question about the small holes I found in the exhaust bellow they are not damage and our manufactured in to the bellow. What is their purpose? I also read on another forum that Volvo has redesigned the exhaust bellow related to slow speed exhaust and water flow problems and/or exhaust bellow failure. My overheat issues does occur at slow speeds.