Rochester Carb Question- Skipjack 20

postmortem

Cadet
Hey guys,
I first wanted to say thanks for all the collaboration on here its been great to have a place to go for experience and answers.

I purchased a 1984 Skipjack 20 open that came with at GM 305 and a Rochester Quadrajet and I'm having trouble finding a rebuild kit for it.

The stamped number that I found is: 7046222

This is what I've gathered so far from this site http://www.carburetion.com/quadnumber.htm:

704- Produced in 1970-1975 range
6- It was a 1966 model? I'm a bit unsure on this number.
2- Quadrajet (4 bbl) Federal standards
2- From a Chevy
2- From an auto transmission

I've searched for a rebuild kit but I cannot find anything with this explicit number. Can I use any rebuild kit for numbers 70462? But even then I haven't been able to find anything. How much does the fourth digit matter (year produced)? I imagine the most important numbers are the first three and fifth and sixth.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Thank you much.
Eric

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
You would be best off searching for a rebuild kit for a 1984 Volvo Penta AQ series that matches your engine series.
You need to look at boat related carb kits as your auto numbers mean very little to marine use.

Here is a site that enplanes car numbers http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/leadfoot/qjet1.htm

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the carburetor is indeed automotive, it should be replaced with a "marine" version. Rochester carbs typically have a tag on them that identifies the final "assembly" part number (e.g., the complete carburetor part number. Those tags are usually discarded during the first rebuild so one never knows what the final assembly part number is. Numbers stamped or cast into the housing are typically part numbers for the housing or cover depending on where the number is found.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF????? Your carb is the original???
The carb repair kit is : 841236 Vovo
Replaced by

These are from Volvo​ and $101.43 (ouch)
Your best bet is contact ​a dealer for the right info.
You can try ​Sierra kit #18-7095 This kit will have most of the parts you'll need

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This worked for me.

K530 Rochester Quadrajet Marine Carburetor Kit

postmortem

Cadet
I picked up the k530 kit and the gaskets fit great. The only oddity was the accelerator was shorter than the stock one so I didn't replace that part. Hope this can help someone in the future.