Overfilled 290

Bughorns

Cadet
Just bought a skip Jack 20 with aq231 and 290a-single prop. I overfilled 290a now I have a leak at prop shaft. Should I tear apart entire drive and replace all seals, replace drive with new one or just replace prop shaft seal.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
A little more info would help. Did you overfill it and run it? If so it more than likely had no room to expand and forced it's way out. Start with emptying the drive and pressure check it to make sure it's actually leaking. If you filled it and there was a big temp swing it could have forced it's way out also.

Bughorns

Cadet
Filled it and ran it. Just a small amount of oil behind prop when I changed the prop.

Bughorns

Cadet
I've been told 1988 Volvo penta 290 aren't worth the headache that's why not sure if I should waste time fixing.i would like to fix it just because it all original with 340hrs in entire boat.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I've been told 1988 Volvo penta 290 aren't worth the headache that's why not sure if I should waste time fixing.i would like to fix it just because it all original with 340hrs in entire boat.
Who told you that? They are great drives.

Pressure check and replace the seals that are bad.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I bet you have no problems. Drain and pressure check. Let us know how it goes.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a pressure test before ANY repairs.
Then if it's just the pro​p shaft seal do just that seal.

RE-doing the whole drive is a bunch O work that you might not be ready for.

Volvo's the best drive out there. Tons of parts and lots of places that will work on them.

Bughorns

Cadet
Ok will do! I will check the forums to see what I need to pressure test it and what oil to use to refill it. Thank you

Bughorns

Cadet
Well fixed the seals thanks guys! Now have a hydraulic leak out the connector tube on the trim after I rebuilt them. The previous owner stripped the hole where the connecting tube should go. Should I just buy a new one or can I have the hole tapped?