Changing steering actuator on a Regal Commodore / twin 4.3 GXI engines

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recent purchase.
After changing, fuel pumps, shift cable, re- pitching of twin duo props, thought I was done for a while spending a lot of money ( except on fuel ) & marina fees.
Power steering developed leak. Steering actuator piston leak.
This boat is a challenge too work on. NO ROOM
Twin engines packed so tight that anything below top of engine is tough too work on
Boat is a 2003 Regal Commodore
Twin Volvo Penta 4.3 GXI engines
I have a trailer . Leave boat at a marina ocean side here in Florida . I have had many boats Smaller,
My Ford F 350 tows fine , but find this boat is not fun too tow. . With platform 30 ft with 9.6 beam. 9000 lbs with fuel. Lot of boat too tow ,
After a few no call no show mobile marine repair guys, I am done. I have zero tolerance for knuckleheads .

Hooked up trailer and towed boat 65 miles inland too a new shop that was recommended . Speaking with shop owner he says he works for himself. One boat at a time. Actuator has too be ordered but once received not a big job will install.
Month too month at marina and saving marina fees .
Now boat is sitting 6 weeks.
Speaking with shop owner, the excuses are starting, sick, truck broke down, part not in on time., BLAH BLAH BLAH
I hate bullshit artists . I am paying for a service I expect this too be done but for some reason this has become acceptable in the marine industry.
MY QUESTION

I did not want too change since I find any engine work challenging on this boat.
If I loose it and put boat, change actuator what can I expect ?
Anybody done this job on a twin engine Regal with no room too get too anything
Actuator I can view but feeling and attempting too remove a good amount of starboard engine has too be removed too get too actuator .
Any special tools.? Removal of engine hatch cover will help but what parts of top of engine has too come off.
Not looking too take off more then I have too .

Any advice and pit falls is appreciated
I am in Fl and use my boat weekly and okay taking a month or two off but I see this project dragging on.
Happy Holidays

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sad to hear your your story, cause changing a steering actuator is quite a simple task. But if there is no space to work in, it gets a little complicated. I'm not familiar with your boat, but on my 18 footer, I have switched the Volvo 290 drive with an SX drive. And removing/installing the actuator can be done with the tools of any home mechanic. First you remove the two hydraulic lines, then the pin attaching the cylinder to the steering arm and finally the two pivot bolts. One from the top and one from below. Then the actuator can be removed. My best guess is that if the starboard manifold of the starboard engine is removed, this job could be done.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Too many crazies out there.
You should remove your e-mail address.
I'll send you a PM with my e-mail.​