1991 AQ131 Ignition

Gunwoody

Recruit
Hi all and greetings from across the pond (UK),

I have a 1991 volvo penta Aq131 and it has started to be a real pain when starting - especially from cold or damp. The engine is really cold blooded and if i don't get it just right I end up flooding it. A few people have recommended replacing the points/condensor etc with an electronic system like Pertronix for example in the hope it 'might' make a difference to starting it. Now i'm not a marine engineer (I was a radar engineer in the military) - but i'm not phased by tackling something like this - just a bit short on relevant knowledge. So i have a few questions and any help or advice is gratefully received.

1. Has anyone done this conversion on an AQA131 and if so, what electronic system do you recommend (Pertronix, Hotspark etc)?
2. Do i need a particular type of ignition lead? Mine current ones are solid core (copper - i think) - do i need to have EMI suppression leads? They are getting a bit old and need replacing anyway.
3. I have a Bosch 0-231-178-019 distributor (right hand 1 piece points). Is this compatible?
4. Coil is good
5. I'm putting in a new starter motor as the current one is squealing a bit - probably because i've been overcranking in an effort to get it started. Do you recommend a penta origanal spare or are there any 'good' clone replacements?
6. Are there any big do's and don'ts to look out for?
7. Have i missed anything obvious to ask - to be frank it's highly likely?

I hope this is enough info to help you point me in the right direction.
Thanks all from a keen amateur.
Mike

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
I've used the HotSpark brand and have good luck with it. As far as hard starting, if your carburetor doesn't have a choke, then, like the rest of us, it's something you'll need to live with. But, you're on the right track by keeping the ignition and fuel systems in peak operating condition. It's up to you on the starter. They cheaper ones work fine. The biggest thing is to use marine rated components such as starter, alternator, carb, fuel pump, and distributor. Spark plug leads won't matter. Just uses what works.

There is a carb/intake manifold conversion kit out there but it runs 7 to 800 dollars. I believe it uses a Weber 2 barrel carb.

Gunwoody

Recruit
Hi Fishermark,

Do you have sprial/carbon ignition leads? I've been told that solid core (copper) are no good for use with a Pertronix kit as they can't suppress the EMi interference which will in turn effect the electronic ignition.

Cheers
Mike

Gunwoody

Recruit
Hi Piratepast40, I don't think my budget will run to 700+ dollars for a carb upgrade - but thanks for the info. Guess i'll just learn to live with the old solex carb that i've got. You say leads don't matter but as i said above most kits mention that you can't use solid core leads.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all and greetings from across the pond (UK),

I have a 1991 volvo penta Aq131 and it has started to be a real pain when starting - especially from cold or damp.
2. Do i need a particular type of ignition lead? Mine current ones are solid core (copper - i think) - do i need to have EMI suppression leads? They are getting a bit old and need replacing anyway.

Mike

Here is my two cents worth of opinion.

From the first sentence above, it seems like it used to be easy to start, so you do not need electronic ignition, just some new points, reset timing, dwell etc.

Second sentence, plug wires bad, not good for boats which are always damp, this is an easy repair and automobile plug wires work fine.

As for the carburetor take it off, gently disassemble clean all the tiny passage ways, put it on the mantelpiece until spring.
These aluminum things can get pretty corroded sitting in a boat all winter.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I don't know what to suggest on the spark plug leads. I just replaced mine with a set I found on Ebay. Just as an aside - I had just replaced my spark plugs and my old wires required the ends of the plugs to be unscrewed so that just the threaded post remained. I threw away the end posts. Then I bought new spark plug cables and needed the end posts screwed back on. Okay - had to buy new spark plugs again. It's always something!! :rolleyes:

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know what to suggest on the spark plug leads. I just replaced mine with a set I found on Ebay. Just as an aside - I had just replaced my spark plugs and my old wires required the ends of the plugs to be unscrewed so that just the threaded post remained. I threw away the end posts. Then I bought new spark plug cables and needed the end posts screwed back on. Okay - had to buy new spark plugs again. It's always something!! :rolleyes:
I've been to that rodeo! :facepalm:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Actually the "old" plugs that are not even used go into a box to replace the "new" ones in the engine in another year or so. This time transferring the ends to the new "old" plugs. :D