2002 5.0 GL-B sea water pump leaking behind bearing..

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a question, I installed a new impeller at the beginning of the season, a new o-ring, and bearing seal. My motor is a 2002 5.0GL-B; but the pump is still leaking water. I even pulled it apart a second time to make sure the seal was seated properly, and the o-ring was not pinched, ect, ect.

If the bearing is bad, will they continue to leak?? And are they difficult to rebuild??

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the pump leaking through the bearing weep hole? In such case you can change the seal between the bearing and the shaft. Chances are the seal broke because of a bad bearing.

With the right tools they are not difficult to rebuild. You'll also find rebuild service online.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my boat, in order to get a clear view of the sea water pump, I have to remove the engine cover, the entire rear seat section, ect, ect. Not a difficult job, but a time consuming one.

However, I defiantly have water leaking, I checked all hoses, I even replaced the engine water pump just to make sure. You can see where water is being flung around in the engine compartment, and it is defiantly coming from below the engine water pump. In addition, this last trip I was out for 5 days, and idling to the marina I can hear a bearing going bad..

My assumption, until I take everything apart, is it is the sea water pump bearing. and it makes since with the water leaking that it killed the bearing.

I found rebuild parts online, doesn't look to difficult..

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
My assumption, until I take everything apart, is it is the sea water pump bearing. and it makes since with the water leaking that it killed the bearing.

Very likely. Inspect idler pulley(2), alternator and belt tensioner while you are at it. Just in case.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Ericga, I have done the screwdriver to ear trick, and neither the Alt, or PS pump are making noise. I have the 2 V belt set up, so no idler pulley. I will report back.. Thanks for the feedback..

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I wanted to reply back.. It was defiantly the impeller bearing. It was rusted and rough to turn. Once I rebuilt the sea water pump all is well. Took her out this past weekend, NO issues at all, and no leaks.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for letting us know about the outcome. It makes the information valuable and may help someone in the future.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would like to hear how you got bearing housing off the shaft/tools you used and part numbers for the stuff. Thank you

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was simple. Once you remove the 3 bolts holding the pulley to the crank, I simply used a gear puller to remove the housing from the shaft, after removing the seal. Then using a blind bearing puller I chucked it up in a vise and tapped the blind bearing puller twice and the bearing came out. One thing to be mindful of when cleaning the inside of the bearing housing is NOT to go crazy. I used emery cloth with very light strokes to clean the bearing surface inside the housing.

In the rebuild kit I got off of an on-line web site, it comes with Loctite. Those bearings, at least mine was not a super tight press fit. Don't miss this step when reinstalling the bearing. Apply the Loctite to the outer bearing surface before installing back into the housing.. The other thing, VERY IMPORTANT, is make sure you install the seal correctly. The spring side MUST face upward. If you install it in the direction most people think it should go, it will cause a leak. The kit I got has detailed instructions so it was really easy.

Reassembly I used a press and a socket to press the bearing into the housing, and the same to press the housing back onto the shaft. My bearing went in fairly easy. So I allowed the Loctite to cure overnight before reinstalling the sea water pump.

If you have basic tools, and the desire, its a super easy job, and the cost savings compared to buying a new or rebuilt pump is well worth it..

Here is the kit I used. My pump did not require the snap ring: http://www.amazon.com/1999-2005-Ster...ilpage_o09_s00

Last edited:

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could you post a picture of the gear puller that you used? I ask all these questions as I recently tried to do mine and could not get it off with a large 2 jaw puller and had no success.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to Harbor freight and purchased an inexpensive 3 jaw puller.. I think those work best due to how it distributes the load. Mind you, it took ALOT of force initially to break it loose. When it did let go, it POPPED so be careful. I had to apply quite a bit of torque to break it loose. If your 2 jaw puller is of good quality, go for it.. It will break loose. I sprayed mine with WD-40 prior to trying to pull it off. Last thing, just make sure your jaws are seated well behind the housing.