Volvo penta 4.3

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
having the cooling system replaced and was wondering, how to tell the diffrance in a marine water pump, and an auto one ?

I just want to be more eduicated when I go pick it up...... Not that I suspect that ANY mechanic, would be anything less than dishonest.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you talking the raw water pump (automobiles do not have one) or the circulatory pump. if your talking the circulatory pump, the materials for the impeller and the back cover differe between marine and auto use.

Bondo

Staff member
how to tell the diffrance in a marine water pump, and an auto one ?

Ayuh,.... Unless ya pull it off, 'n disassemble it, No, ya can't tell by lookin' at it,....

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, maybe I'm confused, so ya dont replace the entire pump, ya just rebuild it? is this correct ?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are two pumps on marine engines, one to pull/pump raw water from the sea/lake/river and the other to circulate the water round the engine. Which are we talking about? We need details of your engine etc.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
ok, maybe I'm confused, so ya dont replace the entire pump, ya just rebuild it? is this correct ?

the raw water pump (also called sea water pump) has a rubber impeller that is supposed to be changed very often. (I change mine every other year) on a volvo, it is on a crank drive pump, however on some outdrives, it is inside the outdrive. sometimes in addition to the impeller, bearings and seals need to be replaced.

the circulation pump (very similar to an automotive water pump) is mounted to the front of the block. while technically you can rebuild these, the labor involved to do so, and the cost of the rebuild parts would exceed a new pump and gasket. these pumps are generally simply replaced. this pump should last the life of the motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
He's getting the block redone. Stands to reason he's ask​ing about the circ.pump.
The circ .pump. The back plate is supposed to be stainless.
Depending on who builds/ rebuilds it on weather or not they change the impeller for salt water.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry guys I was thinking that ev1 would know I was talking about the circultion pump. Its the one that could be replaced with a auto type pump...... This explanes why it still looks orgional, " the boat being 10 years old" and Me getting it used........

I made a poor decission and let a guy fro my local marian replace it...... he works in them in his spare time. he's been doing it for several years...But after calling him he didn't fill me with confidance. and I was thinkng he will try to screw me somehow.... BUT with this being said. he's replacing all 3 pumps and thromastate for 400.00 so I will need to look for the rear of the pump for the plate to know if in deed it was replaced..... and of corse marks on the bolts and such...... I'm thinknig he may just replace the thromastate and charge me for everything....

I'm just trying to be more eduicated when I go pick it up....

Thanks again,and sorry for being vauge

Scott Danforth

Staff member
all three pumps? there are 2 cooling system pumps

the only potential other pumps are power steering (motor mounted), tilt/trim pump, and the trim tab pump