SX Outdrive Cavity Drain

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Hello all, I was winterizing yesterday, and blew antifreeze through water pump intake hose and it shot out the outdrive intake as it should. However, the only thing slowly dripping out the cavity drain is raw water. Should antifreeze drip out this hole as well? I can't seem to find a schematic that shows how, or if this cavity drain communicates with the cooling system. Thanks, Patrick

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The cavity drain is just for a pocket that can get water in it.

Just so you know, there really is no benefit of pushing anti freeze through the stern drive.

Also, when was the last time you took the drive off? My winterization includes taking off the drive to inspect the u-joints, gimbal bearing and to make sure there is no water in the bellows.

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Thanks bruceb58, outdrive was off yesterday, zero water in the bellows, gimbal greased, ujoints greased, new seals on u joint, new d ring around the pump inlet, and outdrive oil changed. I like blowing some antifreeze through water pump intake hose because I find not all the water drains out of that hose when I disconnect it. Always a bit of water that shoots out intake before I see antifreeze. Thanks again. Cheers

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Probably water that was trapped in the power steering cooler. A lot of people forget to drain those.

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Nope. I didn't drain that. Thought they drained on their own. Will check this week. Thanks for the tip

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some of the newer models (mine is a 2006) have the power steering cooler mounted at an angle so that it is self-draining. It wasn't always done that way so it'd be a good idea to check your setup.

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Checked power steering cooler. Mounted at 30 degree angle so should drain. Filled water supply hose with antifreeze and blew it through. I assuming that cavity drain will eventually dry up before winter.

Mnoverboard

Seaman
No signs of water when I pulled the drive. Must be some gunk in there slowing the drain progress

Mnoverboard

Seaman
Problem solved. That cavity drain serves the void in the front section of the drive under the semi circular anode. It does NOT communicate with the cooling system. I hit it with the compressor and muddy water and sand shot out between the anode and drive. Cleaned er up, flushed er and she drains like a charm. Only my second season with this boat so guy before me must have drove her in the muck. Cheers

Last edited: