Fuel mixture critical for storage

indy_chuck

Recruit
How critical is adding the fuel storage mixture for winterization? Should I be specific when I have the local shop do my winterization and ask them to hook up an outboard fuel tank and add the fresh fuel, the 50:1 two cycle oil and the fuel stabilizer? Or is simply adding seafoam or the Volvo fuel stabilizer to the onboard fuel tank acceptable?

Regarding the 2016 380 6.0litre

Thank you

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you have O2 sensors, are you positive that they recommend putting any oil into the fuel?

I would just stabilize but skip the SeaFoam. It also has oil in it.

scutty

Seaman Apprentice
+1 on check the manual for your engine. On my '05 5.0 GXi-E EFI engine they recommend doing the 50:1 oil and fuel stabilizer and run for 5 min. I do it. It's easy and cheap insurance. The Oil is to cover the intake side with a light oil to act as a corrosion inhibitor. I suppose a fair amount of moisture can get in from condensation. Perhaps the value of that is debatable. But you do really want to make sure all fuel that is left in the engine's fuel system is stabilized. You don't want that ethanol junk sitting in there raw for 6+ months. I know folks that just make sure they add stabilizer to the last tank of the season before layup.