Oil leaking at PCV valve

shepnuts

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2006 Volvo penta 3.0 GLP-E that has developed an oil leak where the PCV valve goes into the valve cover. Since the last trip I noticed where some oil leaked out and ran down the valve cover onto the block. The oil level on the dipstick looked low, before the level has always been at the full line. The motor has over 1600 hrs. It overheated back in the spring and I replaced a water pump and new head gasket, push rod cover gasket, exhaust manifold and riser gaskets. Changed oil and the boat has run fine since then, probably a total of 40 hrs in 5-6 trips with no oil leaking and oil level normal. When I shake the PCV valve it rattles like normal. I haven't popped the valve cover off to inspect oil drain holes, I did use gasket maker when I put the gaskets on. Any advice on where to focus my energy?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there should not be any rattling. that should be a 90 degree elbow and not a PVC valve.

you are probably experiencing greated blowby from your overheat.

shepnuts

Seaman Apprentice
there should not be any rattling. that should be a 90 degree elbow and not a PVC valve.

you are probably experiencing greated blowby from your overheat.

There is a 90* elbow for the breather tube, but there is definitely a PCV valve. What I understand is there is a ball/check valve there that rattles.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
My suggestion would be to replace the grommet and add a bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment. Worked very well for me. Also make sure the breather and PCV system are not restricted in any way.